The latest movie/tv show you've seen

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: The latest movie/tv show you've seen

Post by Gorth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:47 am

Heh, come to think of it, the last few years, I've been watching more live concerts, theatre and musicals than tv/movie stuff...

The Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, Incubus, The Killers, The Rocky Horror Picture Show etc.

An older recording but this was one of the songs that Tim Minchin played last night when we went to the Palais Theatre in Melbourne

https://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

On the playlist was also the pope song (about the motherfucking pope and the motherfucking church covering their motherfucking kiddie *i have potty mouth*), the fudge song (fudge america, fudge donald trump, fuch the privileged white middle class) etc. The "Come home" song is mostly aimed at an Aussie audience, as it's about Satan sending his regards to Cardinal Pell and his poor health, he better come home to his reserved place in hell). A no holds barred show (more than 2.5 hours with no interlude), with intelligent criticisms of a lot of things
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Boy am I "excited" about the new Star Wars trailer. Looks like Disney it trying hard to backpedal on the mess they made with The Last Jedi.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:21 am

Never liked Star Wars, never will. I have certain fondness for the original trilogy, at least the little child I was when I saw it does but that's it. I'd honestly rather watch Plan 9 From Outer Space than any Star Wars movie.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 am

I loved the first two Star Wars movies, the original "Star Wars" (A new hope) and "The Empire Strikes Back". They lost me at "Return of the Jedi" which was a cluster fudge (in my humble opinion).

I guess Indiana Jones sort of helped too turning me into a Lucas fanboy in the early 80's

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

Ha! Yes. The late 70's and early 80's, when we thought Lucas was brilliant. And then we realised he wasn't. He exposed himself. :)

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Gorth wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 am
I loved the first two Star Wars movies, the original "Star Wars" (A new hope) and "The Empire Strikes Back". They lost me at "Return of the Jedi" which was a cluster fudge (in my humble opinion).
Oh I enjoyed Return of the Jedi immensely. But that's just me being a space battle nerd, and I really liked the scenes with Luke and the Emperor as well. Also can't really say no to a young Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini.

Of course I can see why people don't like it, or not much as the far superior Empire Strikes Back, which not only happens to be the best Star Wars offering but a really great movie on its own. It has Ewoks and rebuilding the Death Star wasn't the most creative move in cinematic history. I always thought Ewoks were a weird (and not very on point) Viet Nam reference.

The idea that Lucas included Ewoks only to have toys to sell to children didn't cross my mind back then, also didn't know they were initially supposed to be wookies. Boy did that change when the prequels came out. :shock:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 am

Agreed on the Empire Strikes back. Hell, Harry S. Plinkett agrees with that. ;)

Oh, watched Black Summer, the Z Nation prequel. They dropped the humour and tried to go gritty. Sadly, they shouldn't have.

Damn, dude. The time I spent watching those eight craptastic episodes with, as one reviewer noted, main characters less intelligent that the zombies, is time I'll never get back.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:18 am

Didn't really watch anything, as much as look for it, but I found the Caprica 1.0 1.5 dvd's on Amazon. I might just end up buying them. Saw parts of the show a long time ago and it looked intriguing. Same thing with the Sarah Connor chronicles, I might want to get my hand on those. If nothing else, I can always sit and stare a bit at Summer Glau :love:

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 pm

We watched a couple of zombie movies on the weekend.

The Rezort was alright, it was entertaining enough. Here Alone... talk about a steaming pile of poop. Just boring and slow and this is from me, the guy that thought S2 of The Walking Dead was one of the best.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 am

A friend and I are going to watch the latest Marvel marvel (pun not completely unintended)...

He's quite the super hero fan and I guess I don't have anything better to do on a Wednesday evening this week. I might have to catch up on the previous story bits though, as it seems to be the end of a series.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Gorth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 am
A friend and I are going to watch the latest Marvel marvel (pun not completely unintended)...

He's quite the super hero fan and I guess I don't have anything better to do on a Wednesday evening this week. I might have to catch up on the previous story bits though, as it seems to be the end of a series.
That's going to be interesting. Endgame ties a lot of storylines up that almost every MCU movie touched in some way. :p

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed May 01, 2019 6:47 am

Yeah... all those MCU movies that I haven't seen

Meh, I'll have to ask my friend for the 10 minute summary of the previous movies before we get there :mrgreen:

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 pm

So how'd you like the culmination of 10 years worth of films you haven't seen?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 am

It was surprisingly good... :look:

Especially since I've only seen 1 of the previous movies (Captain Marvel)

It had drama, romance, action, sorrow, tragedy, humour, heartbreak, quiet moments of reflections. Of course, being a full 3 hours long they could cram quite a lot in there, but I was never bored.

The humour in particular was just my cup of tea :mrgreen:

(too many examples to pick from)