Random events of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Re: Random events of the day

Post by Marcus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Joseph wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:22 am
I see little value in anything with religious connotations. It speaks to nothing more than ignorance and intellectual deficiencies in my view.

Are we overpopulated and taxing the planet's resources? Hell, yes, we are. And part of the problem is religion and what you call culture. Overpopulation is not a problem the western world has. It's a problem in the parts of the world than cling to antiquated fairy tale beliefs. You're quite right in that tossing money at certain segments of the world solves nothing. But sadly, we can't enforce a global education. We have to allow them to mess things up even though the entire world feels the consequences to some degree.
Yes, but Europe and the NA cannot stand with open arms and take care of them as soon as they fudge up every single time. The optimal would be if the West and China keeps out.

Your music is culture too. You know that right?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am

Marcus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 pm
Joseph wrote:
I see little value in anything with religious connotations. It speaks to nothing more than ignorance and intellectual deficiencies in my view.

Are we overpopulated and taxing the planet's resources? Hell, yes, we are. And part of the problem is religion and what you call culture. Overpopulation is not a problem the western world has. It's a problem in the parts of the world than cling to antiquated fairy tale beliefs. You're quite right in that tossing money at certain segments of the world solves nothing. But sadly, we can't enforce a global education. We have to allow them to mess things up even though the entire world feels the consequences to some degree.
Yes, but Europe and the NA cannot stand with open arms and take care of them as soon as they fudge up every single time. The optimal would be if the West and China keeps out.

Hmm... gee... do I know the blatantly obvious? Yep. Yep, I do believe I do. :razz:

And Marcus, my old friend, you can love culture and tradition all you want. That doesn't alter the fact that religion is a monument to humanity's stupidity. Would you like to preserve barbaric acts of so called "honour killing" because they're part of someone's culture? How about murdering women and homosexuals? That's ingrained in some cultures too. You want to preserve that?

Not everything is worth saving.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 am

Joseph wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 pm
Joseph wrote:

Hmm... gee... do I know the blatantly obvious? Yep. Yep, I do believe I do. :razz:

And Marcus, my old friend, you can love culture and tradition all you want. That doesn't alter the fact that religion is a monument to humanity's stupidity. Would you like to preserve barbaric acts of so called "honour killing" because they're part of someone's culture? How about murdering women and homosexuals? That's ingrained in some cultures too. You want to preserve that?

Not everything is worth saving.
Never ever said that, but a building can be something to preserve anyway :P

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 am

It looks like someone somewhere isn't about to let religion die out peacefully, but rather go out with a bang (literally), some mentally deranged people decided to blow up a bunch of churches in Sri Lanka. Why do I have a feeling this was some disgruntled, disenfranchised group of men who thought it would be better to "get revenge" for the Christchurch massacre rather than go out and look for a job?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:44 am

Gorth wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 am
It looks like someone somewhere isn't about to let religion die out peacefully, but rather go out with a bang (literally), some mentally deranged people decided to blow up a bunch of churches in Sri Lanka. Why do I have a feeling this was some disgruntled, disenfranchised group of men who thought it would be better to "get revenge" for the Christchurch massacre rather than go out and look for a job?
It was ISIS loyalist, they probably had a job. Often they protect each other, harbour each other.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:12 am

A stark reminder of how old I am... started back in a gym just before Easter and went there again yesterday (trying to do it a couple of hours every Tuesday and Thursday). It was 6 months since my last visit to a gym, shortly before moving from Brisbane, so my body is trying to cope with the punishment. At least it feels like punishment at the moment. I know it will pass, but the time is still a few weeks away before it becomes painless routine again :mrgreen:

Edit: I just noticed my join date... It's almost a 15th anniversary!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am

Maybe we'll have to bake you an imaginary cybercake... assuming your muscles aren't in so much pain from your gym routine that can raise your imaginary fork. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 pm

I hate gyms! ;( SO damn boring

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon May 06, 2019 4:10 am

My friend ended up stranded in Melbourne on the Friday (doing some work with her uni project group), so she suggested we go eat somewhere before crashing at my place for the night. A quick google search came up with a Japanese place... hey, maybe sushi and sake, how bad could it be?

We couldn't get a table right away, but that was fine. We got sent to the bar upstairs passing the time with drinks. When our table was ready, we ordered after the "Yolo Principle" :mrgreen:

(Yolo = You only live once)

I stopped counting after the fifth course. It was just awesome though. Never had food like this before, it was divine. So was the Wasabi and Pear cocktail. I know, for fishy food, we really should have had white wine, but we managed to get tipsy without that.

$370 well spent on a nice evening for 2, even if we felt literally stuffed from over eating.

Edit: the place

http://kisume.com.au/

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue May 07, 2019 9:27 am

Last night after dinner, we sat watching tele. Well, my wife watched. I had my laptop... on my lap cos that's where they go... and was pumping out resumes. That job I started last month... the company, the "leadership", all just blech. Quite honestly, it's the second worst job I've ever had.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed May 08, 2019 3:30 am

A laptop on your lap... who would have thought???

I suddenly remembered that I have decent internet connection at home now, so discovered the joy of TV on demand from some of the local Aussie TV stations. SBS in particular likes to send more Danish TV crime and drama series than any Danish TV station :lol:

There are also the odd Swedish series, like 'The Bridge' and 'Wallander' spring to mind (first is a Danish/Swedish co-production)

And I got to watch 'The Fifth Element' again. Fish I love that movie :wub:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 am

Well, I managed to get myself transferred to a different project at work, which I may enjoy, so that's good. Plus higher pay. Which I know I'll enjoy.

The top boss and the boss of the project I left were good guys. But the leadership tier below them... Well, there are some things in life we'll never understand. ;)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 am

MIddle management... like lawyers, bankers and politicians. Any number is too big

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Yep yep yep.

Different note... they've only got two music videos on their channel but damn, I love these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm

That reminds me an awful lot of In Extremo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCM-3Qg_mXU
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.