Fallout Fan Art

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Fallout Fan Art

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:54 am

Just testing to see if I can link directly to a yahoo photo album pic... Not the best of ideas, but who cares.

Fighting the evil seams, I really hate painting 2d textures on UV maps. I'm definitely not a Photoship wizard (more like a Neanderthal)

A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:56 am

Look at that. My Vault Dveller got a shiny new jumpsuit :)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:14 am

The support cast: Cassandra the Raider (left) and Isac the Robot (right).

Isac dosn't fit in though, too unfallouty, so he'll get replaced by another henchman...

Petor23

Post by Petor23 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Uhh, the pictures aren't working

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:45 pm

Petor23 wrote:Uhh, the pictures aren't working
I agree.
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:58 pm

Damn, probably only me who can see them then (because my browser automatically logs in to my Yahoo account)...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:00 pm

I saw the 3rd one earlier this morning. Email them to me and I'll put them in the photoi album for now.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:53 pm

Ok, pictures emailed :)

Since I only have time for this "project" in the weekends, there shouldn't be any risk of me spamming any mailboxes with a truckload of pictures...

The general idea was a series of stills, showing the daily life of your average Vault Dveller. I don't have the writing skills to create stories as such, So I'll just take Polaroids :wink:

Should I grow tired of The Wasteland and post-apocalytic stuff :shock: , I might take PS:T under the same treatment some day.

EDIT: Ok, pictures are in the photo gallery and links edited to point to those... Thanks Josan, I'll get back to you later when I get a few spare minutes again (I'm at work right now) :)

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:29 am

Well, NIce pics!

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:29 pm

Wholly hell, Gorth! Impressive! How'd you do that third one!?!?

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:42 pm

cool pics, very nice
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:00 pm

Cewl! :haksthumbsup: Reminds me of my clay Pipboy :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:19 pm

Dude, that's way cool!
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:46 pm

choyrt wrote:Wholly hell, Gorth! Impressive! How'd you do that third one!?!?
Actually, chronologically, the first one was the first to be made :?

I was done with it, the protagonist of the pic being the robot, but didn't like it. Too black and bluish-white, so I added the girl as an afterthought, just create a bit more variety in the center of it. After looking the end result over a few times, it struck me, that she looked like something out of Fallout. So the idea was born to do a string of Fallout related stuff (and I started working on the V.D. (Vault Dweller).

As for "how"... long story, short version.

It's all bits and pieces added together in a "scene" in a 3d gfx application.

I'm cheating a bit, as I bought the "meshes" of the humanoid female and male form as ready made 3rd party products. They are the kind of things that take team of developers 3 months to do, if you do it for scratch. I could buy them for 40 us$ each and start working with them right away.

Anyway, all the meshes, which, when working just looks like "wireframes", are added and posed in the situation you want to create, surface materials (skin texture for flesh, pictures of stone surfaces on the background and floor objects etc.) and properties are assigned (i.e. transparancy, specularity (light reflection) etc.), ligth (spotlights, global illuminations etc.) and cameras (focus, wide angle whatever) are set up.

Then you run a few preview runs and adjust what needs adjusting. Once you like it, you press the big red render button. Ehh actually, you just press F9, but that sounds less impressive.

It took 4-5 hour to put the stuff together, then another 3 hours for the computer to do the rendering of the final image in 1200x1024 resolution. I reduced the size considerably before submitting it to Josan to put in the gallery, not everybody likes "huge" pictures in forums :oops:

After the first 3 images, I made another one with Isac 's(a pun on Isaac Asimov) replacement, Brutus the ex-army mechanic.

So now I got my Vault Dweller (good-natured, barter, speech and science skill), Cassandra (sex-appeal, small guns, sneaking and wilderness skill) and Brutus (bruiser, close combat weapons, throwing and repair skill).

The brain, The Beauty and The Brawn.

I'm currently working on an outdoor scene with all three facing off against one of those oversized rad-scorpions. I'll see if I can finish that one and perhaps one more in the weekend.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:17 am

A few more pictures up (thanks Josan). I don't want to choke this thread by piling pictures into it, so for the next handful, I'll just put a link to the picture here in this thread (so, that I can add some explanatory text)

First off is Brutus, my npc who provides the Brawn, Bashing and the Repair Skill: http://photos.gamertalk.biz/Fan-Art-at-Winterwind/aad

Second picture shows the complete world saving party. Of course, I haven't figured out what they are saving the world from yet, it all started at a whim (as explained in a previous post). From left to right: Brutus, Cassandra and V.D. http://photos.gamertalk.biz/Fan-Art-at-Winterwind/aae

Lets see if I cant finish my "Radscorpion Encouter" soon :)

Still having a bit of a challenge making outdoor scenes look natural.