Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sanctified poo(h) Batman! A review!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:14 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
That's right folks! Winterwind Productions proudly presents the very first review, in a hopefully long line of such, by yours truly. To read this masterpiece of literature, click the link below!

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 pm 

Nice review, but there are a few things I disagree with:

First of all while I do agree that I liked the game enough to play it again I think the replay value is lower. A lot of it has to do with the issues mentioned in regards to graphics. For me (and yes I also have a less than stellar machine) the game gets extremely choppy at times and loading can take forever. The first time through I was very forgiving of this since it is a great game, but the second time I am more critical since I've already seen the twists.

Second, the game unfolds in a very similar way when you play it again. The outcom of the quests tends to be the same although you do get different ways to play them. I haven't tried to piss of the prince totally though, maybe that would bring some change.

Thirdly there is something that ties together with another part of your review I disagree with - the distribution of XP. Seriously there is so much XP in the game that it's coming out of my ears. It's fine in the first parts of the game, but in the last quarter or so they pumped it up something fierce (like getting 5 xp for a simple quest that awarded 1 in the first part). This lessens replayability because I got to use so many different skills the first time but it's also a problem the first time through since it basically invalidates any character development choices I made early on. I guess it's a balancing issue so that you won't face the endgame with a totally inept character, but I just got so high stats my character started feeling like a superhero. It's okay to be able to make your characters powerful, but it should come through planning and knowledge of the system, not by being able to get virtually anything you want. Imho.

Oh, there was another thing in the review I was curious about:

"Troika have finally managed to fuse an excellent story (like they did with Arcanum) with a solid performance (as they did in Temple of Elemental Evil) into one, single game."

ToEE a solid performance? We're talking about the buggiest rpg to ever hit the shelves here, right? That's not exactly solid in my book. Maybe you meant it had a good engine and rules-implementation, but that's not quite how I read that statement.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:10 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
I meant solid in the way that the combat system and the rules were great. That it was buggy like hell almost goes without saying :) I know, I should have been more precise, but hey, then there wouldn't be as much to discuss, would there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:06 pm 

Quote:
We're talking about the buggiest rpg to ever hit the shelves here, right?

Nah - that'd probably be Pool of Radiance 2 or Daggerfall

I actually (fortunately) played through TOEE with only a single issue - a recurring CTD when killing a certain boss creature, apparently somehow sparked by the tremendous explosion that accompanied it. After the 3rd crash trying to kill it, I temporarily just turned all graphics down to nothing and got through it, then turned them back up.

I found TOEE to ultimately be unmemorable. As I've commented on BluesNews about it, I would compare it somewhat with Gorasul - fun enough while playing, but leaving no lasting impression.

Vampire, on the other hand, I found thoroughly enjoyable and would compare it to how I felt about KOTOR (including that I ultimately enjoyed the earlier part of the games more than the later part - both games became more combat-heavy and less role-playing toward the end-game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:07 pm 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Haven't read the Review yet, but how about something new...or recent for a change? (hahahahahaha).

cappy wrote:
Quote:
We're talking about the buggiest rpg to ever hit the shelves here, right?

Nah - that'd probably be Pool of Radiance 2 or Daggerfall

I've got POR2 and I havent faced a single bug or crash or anything in that game. The TB is so slow already that it's virtually impossible to ever strain the system to any extent.