Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ezine Issue 3 - Merry Humbug
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:30 pm 
Editor

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/i ... humbug.htm

A little seasonal rant thrown in for extra content.

Ho ho ho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:03 am 
Patron

Seems like the argument over the Christmas Tree tradition is an old one:

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (KJV).

Looks like tradition eventually won out over religious doctrine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:10 pm 
Editor

I've noticed something interesting since I've got back. In talking with people I'm finding more and more people have similar views to my own.

It seems that people in their 30s and up are as sick of our government bending us over for the appeasement of immigrants as I am.

Now, even saying this is treading that fine line that risks sounding bigoted/racist but... the problem is largely confined to the Arabic/Mid-Eastern immigrants. And it's not all of them of course. Not every Islamic is a militant fanatic but the African and Asian immigrants don't care. European and Latin American immigrants don't care since they're largely all of Christian stock.

And it's not just the Christmas tree issue either. It's that white people have fewer and fewer rights in their own country than the immigrants who come over and bitch and whine and complain and receive all kinds of attention and hand outs.

It's not just the immigrants that are pissing people off either. It's all the so-called minorities, whether it's race, religion or sexual orientation.

You can have Black Pride/Power Day but if you're white and want a White Pride/Power Day, you're a racist. You can have a Gay Pride Parade but a Straight Pride Parade is immediately shut down by the police. (And several years ago, the Mayor in London was fined by the Human Rights Commission for refusing to issue a Gay Pride Proclamation.)

It's bullshit. It's hypocritical and people here are sick of it. But, this being Canada, a nation known for being passive, nothing will ever be done about it. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving the country. I simply have no faith in or respect for my government. This is a supposedly multi-cultural country with all the great freedoms that protect and recognise everyone but the people who founded the country and wrote the damned Charter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:58 pm 

You're right of course, the majority should be a minority too of course, but the idea behind all these kinds of 'pride parades' is of course acceptance, and the majority doesnt need to be accepted.
Especially in the case of gays, as you should have noticed in Hungary, but way more if you go a little to the east, In both Lithuania and Russia, only last year, the parades were shut down by police, the gay ones, not the 'racist' ones.

On another account however, you couldn't be more right, i've talked about this before, but indeed, if you alter a token rap track from one of those black guys with two quarters or a bandaid in the face to a track in which the word 'nigga' is replaced by something alike but white, it all of a sudden becomes racist.

We had the discussion in our food industry again last year, we've this snack that is called 'negro-kisses' which are chocolate sweets filled with cream, of course now we had to remove the 'negro' part because it was racist, with the chocolate and all. However, we still have 'jewish cookies', 'gypsy schnitzel' and 'white custard' (we have two words for that, white and 'blank' the latter being our 'race', analogue to 'black' and 'dark')
They can do whatever they like, i'll still call it the same and everyone will recognize it. Its the same thing you said about retards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:41 pm 
Editor

Well, it's not just acceptance but equality as well and the playing field is definitely not equal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:34 pm 

How very true. If people would only ease up on each other no one would get angry over a word. For that matter, I find it funny how in the Netherlands over the years every new word for foreigner had to be replaced because it got a negative annotation. I wonder when the last one, allochtone, will get replaced by something new...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:07 am 
Patron

For all their greekness, the Greek actually does have the best word for foreigner :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:34 am 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
What, "barbarian"? I must admit, it has one of the more humorous etymologies in the indo-european family.