Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Random news Roundup
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Editor

Instead of starting separate threads for each topic that caught my attention, I thought I'd lump a few together instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/09/1 ... hield.html

So, the US is scraping Bush's missile shield plan and moving with an alternate idea, focusing on potential threats from the Mid-East, particularly Iran. The Russians are happy about that since there'll be no bases in Poland and the Czech Republic after all.

I'm alright with that. I certainly see the Mid-East as the continuing trouble spot for a while and there's really no need for the US and Russia to start thinking with the old Cold War mentality. Besides, it's a Democratic administration now so there's no need to worry about Republican cowboy diplomacy policies.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ofino.html

We've reportedly had an indigenous community in BC fall ill with the swine flu. Interestingly, I had a doctor's appointment today and when I got to the office, there was a sign on the exterior door and another on the interior door saying, essentially:

Due to the threat of infection, all patients must use the hand sanitizer now found by the door when they enter and leave, that all reading materials (magazines) have been removed from the waiting room and that if you're more than 10 minutes early for your appointment, you're to wait outside the building.

The point of the last one? Beyond me considering you can sit for up to an hour in the waiting room anyhow before you see your doctor.

So, has any one else seen any notices like that around work or school?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:48 pm 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
We have a "volunteer quarantine" dormitory at the University here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 pm 

^ isn't that... like... supporting social withdrawal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:58 pm 

funny followup is that NATO hopes to make one together with Russia, makes me wonder a lot why our bushy shoe lover wanted it in europe in the first place.

And no, no flu notices, but we did get an awful lot of hygienic stuff at our supermarket to make sure theres no single cell organism left alive on our counters or sinks. They've been used once, to remove the print on the keys of the counter, evil stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:30 pm 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Oooh, two for one, that's so green man. Before long you'll be recycling old threads to avoid creating new ones. It reminds me of the nameless one. Instead of forcing the player to start a new game, they just recycle the character and continue the story from the mortuary.

Haven't seen anything related to warning signs of biohazards or viral alerts or whatever, but there was a short story about a possible waste as the vaccine for H1N1 apparently has to be spend within 24hours or so after it has been prepared or mixed, which could be a bit of a problem as local medics are already pretty stressed out by the daily load of common sickness and trivial diseases. When I go to the doctor I sometimes have 2-3 points of interest, but there's rarely time for more than one.

Even though Obama backs away from the missile shield I don't think the russian interest in South America is going to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:04 pm 
Editor

With the swine full, and the UN and WHO constantly changing their predictions, I'm inclined to think it's largely media hype.

Mind you, we've had some serious global epidemics that killed a lot of people. The Spanish flu in 1918 is estimated to have killed 20-100 million globally. The Asian outbreaks in the late 50s and again in the late 60s didn't reach the same levels.

Time alone will tell what happens with this one.

As for the US and Russia, the sooner they make nice, the sooner they can focus on a joint space program. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:33 pm 

Josan wrote:
With the swine full, and the UN and WHO constantly changing their predictions, I'm inclined to think it's largely media hype.

o rly

I haven't got a vaccine and am not planning to. I'm not susceptible to the flu in general, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't die if I got this one either. I haven't cought it, even though I'm on the packed tram and go to the gym every day (where you can bathe in the sweat of all those who didn't bring towels).

edit: and I happen to live in the city that has had exponentially more cases of swine flu than the rest of the country

Also, my hand sanitizer is called soap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Anna Anka is a retard yet honest in saying everyone in Hollywood slept their way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:56 pm 
Editor

well, this is certainly interesting:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/09/2 ... ament.html

The US and Obama sponsored a UN resolution to rid the world of nuclear weapons. Russia and China both endorsed it.

Time alone will tell whether it comes to pass or it's just a high sounding, feel good, resolution with little weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:04 pm 

Josan wrote:

The US and Obama sponsored a UN resolution to rid the world of nuclear weapons. Russia and China both endorsed it.

Time alone will tell whether it comes to pass or it's just a high sounding, feel good, resolution with little weight.

I think the wording is just misleading. Will this lead to a reduction of the amount of nuclear weapons? Possibly. That has happened before. Also, nukes tend to rust at some point like everything else, and then they have to be scraped. It has been said that almost all American nukes that are still bunkered down in Germany are almost useless now because they're too old.
The US will lose nothing by getting rid of them, and I guess the same goes for the other nations.

Will it create a world free of nuclear weapons? Hell no. Mankind won't let go of its most powerful weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm 

Hmm, There is nukes in Germany? Never knew that.

And what do this help? They prolly have tons of more nukes hidden, North Korea do not care, China just care cause she do not have her own nukes yet? (Do she?)

India got nukes, Pakistan got it, Iran's going to get. So if the three giants remove theirs or stop making the others will have.

I say we should invade Iran right away, US-China-Russia, would be fun to see how long those fundamentalist muslims can hold out against those three in a coalition.

Cause its obvious they gonna get nukes with that overly radioactive Uranium they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:29 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8275236.stm

Poland just became a bit more modern, you cannot kill em so you chemically castrate em!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:20 am 

Dangerous stuff that, very dangerous.

I think paedophilia is a cruel crime, but criminalising people expressing their view on the subject (if it's a positive view) is in a way even more disturbing.
No freedom of speech there, no.

This could just as well have been a law saying that if I speak positively about abortion (in a land where it's illegal), I'm up for jail-time. Or hey, why not castrate me so that I can't get pregnant and abort it? Or why not illegalize speaking positively of drugs, they're illegal too...

Just because it's a crime that offends many doesn't mean it's OK to take away the base of democracy - freedom of speech.

Brilliant, bloody brilliant...

And what if a 14 year old pretends to be older online, lets say 20? You'll still get thrown in jail then?
I really hope they have accounted for this in the legislation. But my hopes aren't high...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 pm 
Editor

Freedom of speech only goes so far.

Most countries (justifiably so) have laws criminalising hate speech directed towards race, religion or sexual orientation. How is criminalising public pro-child molestation speech a bad thing? It's certainly not something I want to hear or read about in a positive light.

And on a different note:

Really interesting to see Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the US all agreeing on something.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/09/2 ... -iran.html

It's rare indeed for Russia and China to agree with the West. They usually oppose just out of habit, if not principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 pm 

Iran is a country I hope have to swollow their own ego's, Aka a nuclear melt down. Teach em not to mess around getting nukes. I am happy to the worlds big nations agree on something.

And I do not see how someone can think positive of child molester. They be safer in jail then outside if they are open with that. Freedom of speech or not, they be beaten up Firstborn.

Like Josan says, then perhaps we should remove the hate crime towards race, sex, religion and sexual orientation aswell?

EDIT: People should have understood the power of the nuke after WWII. We could forbid mustard gas but nuclear weapons, are they even forbidden? Guess not since they are in the arsenal of a lot of nations.

Sweden cancelled their project long ago, but It would not suprise me if a halfly made bomb or similar lays well hidden deep down in the vaults of Swedish secrets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next