Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blurred Lines of Feminism by Emily Thorburn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 pm 
Administrator

A new article by Emily Thorburn is up today. Emily takes a look at the blurred lines of feminism via the stir caused by Robin Thicke's song, Blurred Lines.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/feature_articles/blurred_lines_of_feminism/

Another fast breaking news story...

Post subject: Re: Blurred Lines of Feminism by Emily Thorburn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:09 pm 
Editor

I really like this piece, Emily. I tend to stay away from broaching certain subjects myself and feminism is one of them since, with the more militant factions, obviously my gender negates any point of view I may put forth. ;)

I'm quite happy you wrote it. And as Michael and I have both said in the past, we're both quite pleased at having an equal representation of gender with our writers.

Now... I wonder if Marcus will poke his head in here. He rarely reads but I perversely want to see what he'd say in response to this because I really, really want to see journeymouse skewer him, figuratively if not literally!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 pm 
Contributor

You make me sound vicious *hides swords*

It was an interesting read. Good to read another person's point of view even if I don't agree with everything. I think the biggest problem with things like the Blurred lines song (which is quite clever on a pop / catchy level) is that it is unfortunately one in a sea of popular songs expressing similar sentiments. It doesn't really matter if it's intended to be "ironic" if it is that hard to distinguish from its more "serious" peers.

Also, "You're the hottest bitch in this place" is highly unlikely to work as a chat up line. In any situation. Don't try it. (Marcus, I'm looking at you :P )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
Contributor

Excellent article. I found the song playful and charming and the video a pandering missed opportunity to capitalize on that charm.

My favorite thing to do is watch a film from the 50's with my mother. We just recently watched "We're No Angels" and I just sat there and pointed out the mountain of sexism parading on screen.

Mum was not happy with me for ruining her childhood movie. You should see what I've done to people who loved "Beauty and the Beast."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:15 pm 
Contributor

I recently watched McLintock! and The Quiet Man for the sfirst time since I left home for university. I may never be able tosit in the same room as anyone talking John Wayne movies ever again. And as the era they were filmed in goes, they aren't actually that bad...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:08 am 

Title: wal-mart greeter
i'm all for equality. sexists on either side bug me. and over-reacting to the objectification of women in the media when the women willingly pose and take the money is just plain dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm 
Contributor

I suspect that the mass media explosion over the passed decades has yet to find a defined place in progressive feminism, so I get what you are saying. But.... severe sexual pandering insults males and females alike. Blurred Lines was such a charming little song until I saw the video...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 am 
Patron

I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy. I don't believe men and women are equal, but I do believe we are all entitled to a fair go at the same goals.

I find feminists about as charming as chauvinists (i.e. not at all), so I generally just wrinkle my nose at their rhetoric (if unavoidable, otherwise just ignore) and move on.

As for the objectifying... it's an uphill battle because you are fighting tens of thousands of years of genetic fine tuning and evolution to create a winning strategy. You can remedy some of the symptoms, but the underlying cause may take a few more millennia to reverse. And lets face it, the entertainment industry carries a large part of the blame for perpetuating it. It's not only the male part of the industry perpetuating it either. I laughed a bit at the R'n'B satire bit, because they are amongst the worst offenders in my book. Most of the 'plastic' women in that industry showing off their latest surgery and excuse for skimpy wear, rather suggestive "dance" acts etc. couldn't sing a clear note to save their life if you switch off the electronics, yet they sell billions of dollars worth of merchandise. Sex and sex appeal sells. Same thing with the "male" counterpart the designer Boygroups (never appeared particularly male to me, but some people seem to like the Twilight androgynous types). Usually completely devoid of any vocal talents, but they have sex appeal. It's really that simple. Want to change that, you have to come up with something else that sells better. Problem is just, that something else is damn hard to come by and usually requires both talent, skill and hard work in one package. Sometimes the easiest shortcut is just the path of least resistance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:45 pm 
Contributor

Gorth wrote:
I don't believe men and women are equal, but I do believe we are all entitled to a fair go at the same goals.

You cannot drop that bomb and move on... you've got to explain that one a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:37 pm 
Contributor

At a guess, GOrth is trying to say we're all different - i.e. equal=same as it does in maths, as oppose to politics and philosophy :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 pm 
Editor

I take Gorth's statement on its simplest level. We aren't equal in that some of us our smarter, some stronger, our innate strengths and weaknesses lie in different areas but that we are all entitled to "equal rights". And in that regard, I find equal rights, or the lack of them, based more on financial status than gender but that's a entirely different topic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 pm 
Patron

choyrt wrote:
Gorth wrote:
I don't believe men and women are equal, but I do believe we are all entitled to a fair go at the same goals.

You cannot drop that bomb and move on... you've got to explain that one a bit.

By that, I mean we come with different genetic make ups, skills, preferences etc.

Men and women *do* react differently to different types of problems, faces challenges in different ways and have things they are "naturally" better at. Part because of physiology, part because of psychology (both of which *are* different for the two genders).

As Joseph and Journeymouse correctly deducted, I meant that the differences in our background doesn't mean we should be judged by different standards. We should be judged on individual merits and not be preferentially treated (or disadvantaged) because of gender. E.g. even simple things like same pay for same work, same standards for eligibility for promotion and recruitment etc. are in short supply many places in the world. Let the best individuals succeed because of "who" they are, not "what" they are. Bias is alive and well today unfortunately and all of us lose out when skills gets overlooked or relegated to irrelevance because of archaic ways of thinking.

Edit: Because the above sounds like a confused self contradictory mess...

I don't think men and women are created equal in all things. I do believe skill should be assessed and rewarded equally and on it's own merit without bias (i.e. applying the same standards for all).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm 
Contributor

Gotcha gotcha, sir. I was about to rise up and save all women from you!!!

<----invariable latent misogyny.

I tend to just see it as, despite all people being due equal rights, some people are just tards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Editor

I've heard that chivalry is misogyny in disguise. Be careful who you save, Choyrt. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm 
Contributor

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

"Let me get that door for you, madam, since you are clearly unable to do so yourself!!"