Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Dark Souls, holy shit its hard and unforgiving! =S

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 am

Haven't really heard much about it. Heard a few things in passing on another forum, but it sounded like a console only thing, so I probably just skimmed the text rather quickly.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Played a tad of the Witcher 2 this week. Must admit, not bad.. Saw a little over the shoulders over my old roommate back then of the first installment and deemed it too much a JRPG style. (Or even MK Shaolin Monk style), but this isnt bad at all. I did put things on easy though, as i am quickly bored by this combat style, but the npcs are quite well done, one of the few times i enjoy fully-voiced conversations.

As well, played two games of Master of Orion 2 on win7. If you ever want to Gorth, and use the win95 version as well, here's a trick to get the odd colors out of your screen:
1) Set the windows background to full black.
2) Open the resolution window and keep it open as you play the game.
It's a very odd workaround, but it works on many games from that era, including diablo 1 as well.

Oh yes, about hard and unforgiving, i dont imagine those dark souls are harder than Super Meatboy ;), great little platformer game! Managed to get to the final level btw. (Which as a good old style platformer should, is not its final level at all)
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:41 am

D. Sauzi wrote:As well, played two games of Master of Orion 2 on win7. If you ever want to Gorth, and use the win95 version as well, here's a trick to get the odd colors out of your screen:
1) Set the windows background to full black.
2) Open the resolution window and keep it open as you play the game.
It's a very odd workaround, but it works on many games from that era, including diablo 1 as well.
Strange indeed. It works fine for me though, running the dos version in the dosbox. I seem to remember that there is a fixpack fo Moo2 that only applies to the dos executable (after the 1.31 patch).

If push comes to shove regarding old games, I still have my old P4 (mono core) pc running Windows XP sp2 :mrgreen:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Hmmyes, i've heard about that 1.31->1.40 patch before, and that the dos version has much better multiplayer.

However, since i only play solo, and the only substantial fix centers around cloaking ships, which i never use and guess the cpu would pretty much ignore anyway, i dont bother with getting the dosbox version working.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:42 pm

I don't use it either, because my pet peeve crash is the warp dissipator bug. If you develop the technology, don't give it to any of your ships, it's bad enough your space stations get it.

It crashes every time an AI enemy tries to retreat, like it wants to retreat but can't because of the interdictor and as a result, it (the game) simply dies. The other easy to reproduce (unfixed) crash is if you select and try to save without clicking on one of the save slots :mrgreen:

I still love the game though and only the first one really irritates me, because it would've make a nice trap for an AI that constantly runs away from you.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Uncharted was pretty nice.

Joseph! We shold play some PS3 sometime!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 am

Ah, you have a PS3 now? Cool.

I don't have a lot of titles... trade 'em when I'm bored/done with 'em. Only multi-player games I have now are MAG (it's only worth $0.50 to trade in so I kept it) and CoD Black Ops.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 am

I know, not exactly new. Just thought I would mention it... :mrgreen:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:18 pm

I said so a couple of times that I had one! :haha: Least in threads but it can be missed

I can probably get my hands on one of those after christmas! Anything else you looking into play Joseph?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 am

I think the console vs PC issue died when pretty much every title became cross platform releases. You're so living in the past, Gorth.

Though, as I've mentioned earlier, if not here then on another board, what I miss about PC gaming is the community support as far as fan-made patches, mods, etc. A quest breaking bug in Skyrim is easily fixed with the console codes on PC. Can''t do that on the PS3. I'd have likely given up on BG2 without being able to access the CLUA console to fix issues. Skyrim... I want to like it but there are just so many bugs and quest breakers that I'm sure most players on PS3 and Xbox envy PC gamers that way.

Marcus, just go for CoD Black Ops. We can have enough fun with that and the Nazi Zombie mode it has. While some of the other maps (both zombies and regular Black Ops) are fun, they're DLCs and that's extra money. So yeah, if you can get Black Ops after Christmas that would be good. Don't know what the price is new but the game is over a year old now so a used copy shouldn't be hard to find.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:03 pm

I gonna check out ofr Black ops then =)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Joseph wrote:I think the console vs PC issue died when pretty much every title became cross platform releases. You're so living in the past, Gorth.
Heh, did you play Victoria 2, Starcraft 2, Still Life 2, Magicka and Amnesia on that PS of yours? There's so much more to gaming than action gaming ;)

I've been spending my time with some cross platform releases over the past weeks though, trying out some Skyrim (ill post in the appopriate thread next), Saints Row the Third and Orcs Must Die!. (Along with buying the Paradox pack on steam for 90% discount, which áre all PC releases).

You're not fully right on the beneficial support for PC games that much anymore though. Most bugs i ran across in both Skyrim and Saints Row 3 were ones that stemmed from being ported or being made with the intention to port. Were they fully PC oriented i would say many wouldnt have existed. Also, many aren't fixed anymore and postponed into the large fixes that come with DLC/Expansions that fix the same issues for the consoles. (For instance SR3's Dx11 problems wont be fixed until the expansion).
Afaik the only games that still hold this privilege are PC only games, like the Paradox stuff.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 am

I bought Magicka and played through the first few areas. Very funny game, although I suspect it gains a lot by being played coop. A few Steam demos is all on this side of New Year. I liked the Demolition Inc. demo, so I got that one. Fun in the same way as Rochard, another "indie" title.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:50 pm

I can't play video games for more than 15 minutes these days.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...