The latest songs you've listened to/listening to now thread

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Re: The latest songs you've listened to/listening to now thread

Post by Jan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Oh what a dream.. That got me thinking of some old Mike Oldfield tracks when he was making music with Sally Oldfield, there were a few good albums before it got all tubular belly remakes.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sat May 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Are you guys seriously telling me, that this thread has been dead for a year and a half? For shame! Time to kick it up a notch...

with Falco! :cool:
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:50 am

Since my kid sister's belated birthday party doesn't seem to have any particular end in sight, I've been listening to a couple of albums I haven't heard in a long time.

First up was King Night by a some guys, who go by the name Salem. To be quite honest, I detest rap and hip-hop in general. In an industry, where 95% of everything is derivative, these genres are even worse. Which might be why I love this album. It's trippy, strange as fudge-all, and downright menacing at times, which pretty much guarantees it'll never be played on the radio. At least, none of the stations that I can receive. As for what genre I'd like to pigeonhole it into, I'd say it's some kind of weird-ass fusion of hip-hop, electronica and nightmares, with the added benefit of a sound quality reminiscent of a dying steam engine. It's weird, and I love it.

Up next was Black Clouds and Silver Linings by Dream Theater. As far as progressive metal goes, this album is very conventional. I usually try to avoid conventional music, but I'm an absolute whore for Dream Theater. To be quite honest, I'm an absolute whore for progressive metal/rock in general. I love this album too, and I had a really silly grin plastered to my face for the entire duration of this album... and it's two extra CDs.

The last proper album on my playlist was Rush's Hemispheres. This one, I admit, was a bit outside my comfort zone. I love Rush, but most of what I've heard has been from "best of" compilation albums, such as the Retrospective albums. So Hemispheres was unfamiliar terrain for me. I like the album, but it wasn't the toe-tappin', rootin' and tootin' fun-times experience that I usually associate with Rush. Still, the very fact that I've had my comfort zones challenged by a band I thought I knew pretty well, was a nice experience.

But for the past hour or so, I've been looping this particular track from Skyrim. It is awesome.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!