Star Trek in general now...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:14 pm

Ah. Reason I asked was that if you had cable and a TV In graphics card, you could probably get TV that way.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:18 pm

Nope. No tv card.

I will be DLing. I hear that you can find them a Kazaa. Kazaa doesn't like my 'puter. Anyone know any other places?

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:50 pm

-blargh-
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Spider

Post by Spider » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:32 pm

Hmm... Technically I don't know if such a link is ok, but since Josan asked I'll let him decide.

The linked site isn't technically doing anything illegal since it's only sharing text-files, but anyone using the BT-client is.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

KC

Post by KC » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:12 pm

Josan wrote:Nope. No tv card.

I will be DLing. I hear that you can find them a Kazaa. Kazaa doesn't like my 'puter. Anyone know any other places?
If you are talking about the popups, there's a Kazaa-Lite available with 'less' ads.
[b]Current inventory[/b]:
- Leather armor, leather jerkin, ragged pants
- Quality dagger (from the Task Master), blowpipe, dart quiver
- A gem bag filled with some gems, copper coins, a strange amulet, a silver medaillion

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:23 pm

Nah. I'm talking about the error I got when I installed it.

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:14 pm

Spider wrote:Hmm... Technically I don't know if such a link is ok, but since Josan asked I'll let him decide.

The linked site isn't technically doing anything illegal since it's only sharing text-files, but anyone using the BT-client is.
Please remind me what is illegal in downloading aired TV material? It's not forbidden to tape it either.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:38 am

majestic wrote:
Spider wrote:Hmm... Technically I don't know if such a link is ok, but since Josan asked I'll let him decide.

Please remind me what is illegal in downloading aired TV material? It's not forbidden to tape it either.
Can't say I know the legal ramifications of this link. Ethically I agree with majestic's taping comment. TV and radio are different to me than software. However personal ethics and legal aren't always the same. For these boards, it'd be Val's call as it's his (friend's) server.

Spider

Post by Spider » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:42 am

I do think downloading aired tv-shows is technically illegal. They are still the intellectual property of whoever made them so sharing them is only allowed with their permission.

Besides, TV-companies get their money from comemrcials. If less people watch a show when it airs and instead downloads it that measn less income for the companies.

There's also the issue of re-runs as well as international rights. Many shows are sold to other countries but since they will air at least 6 months later some people prefer to get it sooner rather than wait.

And then there's DVD-sales.

So no, there's no doubt in my mind that donwloading tv-shows is technically illegal. This is not to say I think it should be or even that I don't do it myself, in fact I donwload new episodes of three different shows (and one other that just ended).
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

majestic

Post by majestic » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:27 am

Spider wrote:So no, there's no doubt in my mind that donwloading tv-shows is technically illegal. This is not to say I think it should be or even that I don't do it myself, in fact I donwload new episodes of three different shows (and one other that just ended).
It's a question of distribution it seems. If someone in the US would tape them for me and sending them over it would prolly be legal...

They don't have good quality either. NTSC is just atrocious.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:29 pm

Did anyone watch last night's Enterprise? I guess the Big News part of the episode would be T'Pol's bum and her "therapy" with Trip.
Even though this episode was very much a sex-and-violence filler episode, I really enjoyed it. The fight between Major Hayes and Malcolm was great, and everyone had lines to say!
Though I think the point of most merit was that there was an effort to not follow a single plot line like most episodes do - there were a lot of little things going on, and we got a wider picture of life on Enterprise. I like that in a show. Two of my favourite sci-fi shows, Farscape and Firely, do (or rather did) the same thing, albeit a million times better.
Still, I have to applaud the efforts made to bring more diversity to the show.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:59 pm

^ True that. The idea that more than one thing is going on (well, not in absense of a greater theme of course) adds quite a bit of variety to it.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:39 am

I didn't see it. :(

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:36 am

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:33 pm

Thanks majestic but I just finished watching it. :look:

Excellent episode.

Love the exchange between T'Pol and Cole. Loved Malcolm's line to Trip in the mess about "I've got this little pain..." and yeah... awesome fight between Reed and Hayes.