Solar Eclipse

Day to day, down the street and around the world
albertha

Solar Eclipse

Post by albertha » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am

What is the difference between total and annular solar eclipse? I need to know to difference between a total solar eclipse, annular solar eclipse and partial solar eclipse and a lunar eclipse.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Solar Eclipse

Post by Gorth » Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 pm

The spammer forgot his links. He may come back later and edit them in though.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri May 18, 2012 3:31 pm

This has got to be the weirdest spambot I've ever seen, though. I'd love to see an interview with it's programmer, just to find out what s/he was thinking. Really, asking about the difference between eclipses? That it already knows the difference between? Fascinating :D
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri May 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Magnus wrote:This has got to be the weirdest spambot I've ever seen, though. I'd love to see an interview with it's programmer, just to find out what s/he was thinking. Really, asking about the difference between eclipses? That it already knows the difference between? Fascinating :D
It you look at his/its first post a few months ago, you would understand. There is no purpose other than plastering links all over the internet in an attempt to fool Google and other search engines. The subject is irrelevant and repeated ad nauseam :)

Edit: If you are really morbidly curious, try searching 'SEO' or 'SEO Spam'. The scourge of the internet and a bunch of ****heads as a group.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Fri May 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Awww, and I thought it was some kind of weird spambot. *Sigh* ... Turns out it's just run-off-the-mill incompetence :(

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 pm

But but but... two posts almost three months apart... and no links... I still don't see a point in this.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat May 19, 2012 1:36 am

The spam links were added to the first thread a long time ago. The longer the links stay, the more the spammer wins ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sat May 19, 2012 1:59 am

The links are in the sig... and I've never liked the link colour... I should look into changing that. It's almost impossible to see links in text.

Still, bloody weird. Links only in the sig in the first post, posts months apart. I still see no point to this.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 am

Joseph wrote:The links are in the sig... and I've never liked the link colour... I should look into changing that. It's almost impossible to see links in text.

Still, bloody weird. Links only in the sig in the first post, posts months apart. I still see no point to this.
Seriously, how can they be in the sig in one post and not in the other?... :mrgreen:

Try quoting the post (or edit it since you are a moderator) ;)

Edit: SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is all about spreading a link and keywords to as many forums, blog site comments what have you as possible. If they can create millions of spam posts with the link, the better. It's still cheaper for the buyer of spam services than paying Google for preferential treatment. Thats the purpose. They simply abuse forums and blogs for it.

Edit2: Just some examples of types of spammers encountered over the years:...

One type is the brute force one, will create as many threads in as short time as possible plastered with urls. Doesn't really happen anymore because most boards have "flood control" enabled
Second type is the "Hi, I'm new here." with a sig full of urls.
Third type is a variant of the second type (like the one in this thread) which will post something semi-topical yet stands out like a sore spot, because people will go "huh". Again with a number of urls in it
Fourth type is more sneaky, a variant of 2&3, which will post an innocent looking post that seems out of place, but harmless. Then after some time (could be hours, could be days) they come back and edit the post to add urls
Fifth type is the "tag team". First one account creates a thread like "Do you know any good software for backing up iPods (insert some random purpose) and never show up again. Some people usually fall for it and try to be helpful. A few days later, a new account (from the same IP) shows up and offers help with a handful of urls to commercial software that can "help" to poor original spam account.
Sixth type doesn't want to sell a product as much as just generate ad revenue and creates threads that suggests you should come over and visit, because they got an interesting community. Usually with a lot of banner ads, t-shirt store, what have you.

Those are just some. The main purpose is to avoid getting your url deleted for as long as possible to fake popularity in search engine rankings

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 am

Joseph, your mission is clear! You need to edit the bot's settings, and switch all the links to Winterwind :D