Extended Play

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Extended Play

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 am

Extended Plays or 'EP's are less common these days. Music mainly consists of hit singles or albums. Though, when an EP is done right I find it significantly superior to an album or a tongue-in-cheek single. The one that influenced this post is called "Zombie" and was written by 'The Devil Wears Prada.' It's an American Metalcore band that's highly Christian influenced. This EP's special edition vinyl comes with a comic book that goes along with the story of the following five tracks:

1. Escape
2. Anatomy
3. Outnumbered
4. Revive
5. Survivor

As you can guess, it's about a zombie apocalypse. This The Devil Wears Prada release was different in the fact that the band experimented with more of an 'over produced' feel to it. There were a lot of sound effects and such added to the songs that you can't play with instruments. Generally, I dislike these additions. In EPs, especially well made EPs, they can be extremely appealing. The last EP I enjoyed this much was Nine Inch Nails - Broken from the early 90s.

The funny thing is that this EP was released on my birthday.

EDIT: I forgot, the entire reason for me posting this was because I kept listening to the track transition of starting and revving a chainsaw. It made me think of DooM.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Extended Play

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 pm

While not a fan of the genre, I've always liked the band's name. And I always appreciate a good album cover.

I've also always liked EPs though I'm used to the four song variant. There's usually a better chance a four solid tracks instead of a couple good tracks and eight "filler" songs.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Re: Extended Play

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 pm

I haven't heard any good EPs lately. I'm bummed.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...