Redoing your own old work?

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Redoing your own old work?

Post by Joseph » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 am

Before getting into the question in the thread title...

Wow! Five months since the last post in this thread. What a committed, creative bunch we are. Whatever happened to Firstborn's "poem a month" promise? And wow again. I did a double take when I saw how many threads of AKJ's were on the first page of this sub-forum.

Anyhow, I was just going through the site, old ezines, feeling nostalgic, enthused about the next issue, embarrassed about some of our weaker bits, proud of our good ones, that kind of thing. But the really strong feeling that lead to this post was "Oh man, I really, really want to edit this or redo that and Sweet Jesus, that image looks really baaad!" I know it's not just me. Every creative does it.

So... not that we'll get much response (Lina, Joe, Jez, Michael, anyone else?) but how often have any of you looked back on some older examples of your work, say a piece you wrote, or edited, or whatever, and it was good, or good enough, at the time and cringed internally months or years later?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Redoing your own old work?

Post by Gorth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Does miniature painting count? :look:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I always find flaws in everything I create. No matter how much I work on it, I find more. When I finally am fed up with it; I compare it to the original and scrap the one with all of the 'improvements.'
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:31 am

You lost me there Joe. When comparing to the "original", is that the original of something you created in the past?

There are probably two seperate thngs in play, one is inspiration and one is the improving of technical skills. You can improve your skills and get better technically over time, but inspiration is not something you can do on demand. It either comes to you from who knows where or it doesn't. I look at some of my old paint jobs (above mentioned miniatures) and think about how I would go about something I did 15-20 years ago. I might be technically better at the shading, highlighting and fine detail freehand painting, but I might not come up with the same colour and theme ideas as I did for a particular miniature back then.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 am

Gorth, think back to school papers. First draft, second draft, final copy. While I could be wrong, I'm quite certain that's what AKJ means.

And after all these years of knowing each other it feels silly still calling each other by our forum names.