All Blocked Up

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

All Blocked Up

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't know what it is... well, I do and I don't... but I'm dealing with a weird form of writer's block.

I can mentally work on things, work through article ideas and outlines in my mind but I simply can't seem to sit down and type them out. I'll open up a blank doc, put the title and by me bit and then stare at it, close it and do something else. And it's right bloody annoying. I haven't written anything since the article I wrote about my beloved puppy last December and prior to that the only thing I've done in the preceding two years or so was coming up with about a half a dozen questions for the interview we did with Duncan Lunan.

I've been quite happy publishing everyone's work on the site but I just can't seem to do anything of my own other than article titles and rough mental outlines.

Right now I'm looking at...

Sex Is My Adventure - An article about, well, sex, sexuality, online sites, silly people you meet on them, or in real life, etc, etc. And this one, and the title, have been kicked around in the old brain box for a few years now.

With Apologies to Pet Clark - An article, hopefully humourous, about how "Downtown" isn't a place I'd go what with all the dregs of society washing up on its shores.

Abused Men aka Misandry Miseries - an article about the simple, undeniable and oft unreported abuse of men of which I have been one.

Poverty, Isolation and Separation - An article looking at the toll poverty, and all that comes with it, takes on a person, flawed social programs and the failings of most governments to give a damn.

Year of Hell - A little rip on my former landlords and their wearying idiocy which alternated between being highly amusing and highly mentally taxing.

And... despite mentally composing pretty much all of the articles in my mind, writing them out just isn't coming to me. I need a kick in the pants I think.

Journeymouse
Contributor
Contributor

Re: All Blocked Up

Post by Journeymouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Attend a martial arts session somewhere. Kicks will be supplied for free with the cost of training ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirts, medals and trophies.

Journeymouse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Journeymouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Ah, but did it supply the necessary kick up the pants?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:05 am

Mate, it's called "getting old and tired" :mrgreen:

Seriously, I can relate. Happens at the moment at work. Have this pile of tricky problems that needs solving, staring at the screen, things that used to solve themselves makes my brain "deadlock". I try to string a few thoughts together and I might as well try to make a block of concrete levitate through sheer force of will (hint: it doesn't work).

Sometimes being "creative on demand" just doesn't work. That's why I admire illustrators and "regular contributors" who can do those things, seemingly pulling creativity out of their sleeves :)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 am

I feel the same about my current university projects. I just cant find the motivation when I think of it.

Yet I love the university life. Its where I get energy from. My retreat from my current situation beyond the computer and internet. Hell, we both could use a kick Joseph.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:51 pm

@ Gorth - Old and tired... well, in a way... it does break down into two things: Personal motivation and group motivation. And probably my biggest thing right now, and this has been an on again/off again thing since WW started but... yeah, the lack of commitment and group support from the "team" often leads me to think "Why bother?" Seriously, people can't even take 60 seconds to show their fellow contributors some respect and encouragement and that really pisses me off.

@ Marcus - Not quite the same, kid. The motivation to write school papers and the motivation to to write because you're a writer aren't exactly the same. Not even close, really.