ESIII: Morrowind - How bad?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

ESIII: Morrowind - How bad?

Post by Joseph » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:58 am

OK, most people slam this pretty heavily. Basically, I've heard good art/graphics and lousy story/gameplay.

Well, a guy I work with has never played Planescape: Torment so I loaned him my 2nd copy and I got Morrowind (we know who got the better end of it...). I'm hoping this will be a mind numbing distraction for me this weekend so... is it playable/enjoyable?

Noober

Post by Noober » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:02 am

I liked it very much, but i think it depends on what character you choose to play.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:02 am

Hmm. Aside from my randomly poking keys... is there a way to change the camera view? I hate 1st person.

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:54 am

Josan wrote:Hmm. Aside from my randomly poking keys... is there a way to change the camera view? I hate 1st person.
Yep, you can play in 3rd person as well...
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:38 pm

Yeah, found the key for switching camera views and... I just can't get into this game. Just can't. Are my gaming days done?

There are NO games I'm looking forward to. I'm curious about what Bethesda does with the Fallout lisence (though I know I'll compare it to BIS and they'll fail) but that's it.

I'm just not into gaming anymore.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:48 am

Games these days flat out suck. Games have become merely a market and not an art. The companies that do put passion into their work end up lacking in a department. id Software for example, extremely passionate about ground breaking gaming technology... but their games lack depth.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:45 am

Josan wrote:Yeah, found the key for switching camera views and... I just can't get into this game. Just can't. Are my gaming days done?

There are NO games I'm looking forward to. I'm curious about what Bethesda does with the Fallout lisence (though I know I'll compare it to BIS and they'll fail) but that's it.

I'm just not into gaming anymore.
Don't ye worry, I had the same thing with Morrowind, started a character, played a couple hours, got bored, perhaps started a new character, perhaps played something else that I always enjoy(Torment etc.)

But my gaming days are far from over, I got Halo 3 as my only real WANT right now, but I can luckily still get a kick of the games I got.
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:19 pm

Well, I still get a kick out of the games I have. Replay Torment once a year. FO when I've got 5-6 hours to spare and FO2 when I feel like loading up my party with gauss rifles and making the Enclave pay.

With Morrowind, well, I got some quest in Generic Fantasy Tavern "A" to watch some guy from the top of the lighthouse. So... I'm standing at the top of the lighthouse, the sun goes down, I have no clue who is who from my vanatge point and I just thought "meh! boring" and loaded FO2.

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:45 pm

Josan wrote:Well, I still get a kick out of the games I have. Replay Torment once a year. FO when I've got 5-6 hours to spare and FO2 when I feel like loading up my party with gauss rifles and making the Enclave pay.

With Morrowind, well, I got some quest in Generic Fantasy Tavern "A" to watch some guy from the top of the lighthouse. So... I'm standing at the top of the lighthouse, the sun goes down, I have no clue who is who from my vanatge point and I just thought "meh! boring" and loaded FO2.
Do you have the Game of the Year Edition(the one with all the expansions included) or just the original game?

In the original at least(I think they might have changed it in one of the expansions) the journal is like total crap, and also really bad.
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:08 pm

Seems it is the Game of the Year edition. That explains those 2 extra discs.

I'll likely wind up giving it another whirl. I was just a big BIS fan. Everything pales beside Torment no matter how cool the graphics are.

Spider

Post by Spider » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:16 pm

Morrowind doesn't even have cool graphics. They were good for a RPG when it came out, but that's it.

(and frankly, for those of us who were spoiled with the 2d paintings of BG and Torment, they weren't even good for a RPG)

I've tried playing it a number of times, but I don't last any longer than an hour. There is just nothing compelling about it for me. All the NPCs are devoid of anything resembling a personality (interactive spreadsheets is a term used a lot) and since the story is designed to not be forced on the player (I think, truth be told I've never played long enough to notice the story) there is just nothing that grabs me and makes me want to keep playing.

I still have some hopes for Oblivion, but Morrowind never was the game for me.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 am

I guess the games I've enjoyed the most in the last 2 years have been Vampire:Bloodlines (absolutely loved that game after being bored with Arcanum and TOEE), Max Payne 2 (despite its brevity), and KOTOR. KOTOR2 would be close behind if I could just focus on the first half when it was a great game and forget the second half where Obsidian had to hack it apart to make LucasArts's deadline.

I have about 15 unplayed games (dating back to Gothic, which I am just now finally starting to play) that I'm trying to catch up on.

I'm probably looking forward most to Alan Wake (being developed by Sam Lake and the folks behind Max Payne), Dragon Age (by Bioware), and probably whatever Larian is working on because Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity were nice to pass the time with.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:38 am

I just can't finish it. I can't getmore than 5-10 minutes in. I'd sooner play Freecell in Windows. I'm just not into gaming that much anymore.

Had BIS lived to finish Fallout 3... well... I'd have played that. Maybe it's that I was a Black Isle fan and not a true gamer. I've played every BIS title and the number of games I've played outside of their titles are... well, about equal to the number of games they did.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Josan, gaming isn't what it used to be. ;-)
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Spider

Post by Spider » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Otoh, you can't judge the state of gaming by Morrowind. Not only is it a bit old, it's a dreadfully boring game as well.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."