Games and pirates

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Games and pirates

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm

I just read a comment who said this.

"The only games I pirate are games that I would never buy, its the same with quite a lot of people. Games in TES, Mass Effect, Fallout, Battlefield series etc. I will always buy because they're quality products that I want to and do pay for. Other games that I have no desire to buy and never will unless I get them for around £6.99 in a Steam sale I just pirate. If I enjoy the game I'll tell people about it and praise it. "

I think this explains why more innovative games are not released anymore, why Mirrors Edge did not sell, why Dishonored haven't hit a million sales yet.

When people think like this, buying tripple A titles! Avoiding the smaller titles, pirating them or waiting for some obscure sale on steam...they cater to mainstream, casual gaming. This do not help the market become more vivid and vibrant. By not buying Dishonored, by not buying games that bring something new to the scenery, you kill the market. Buying Call of Duty or Starcraft just proves that you enjoy those games and want a brainless market. Pirating Call of Duty or Starcraft do, do not hurt these companies as much as it hurts smaller companies like Arkane Studios, Obsidian or studios equal to these. You force then these studios to sell themself to EA, Activision or similar gaming market devil companies.

I also proclaim that EA and their friends in Activision should stop mass releasing their games, Fifa 2012 could be released now, and the next game could come in 2016. You could smash that 60 dollar price on, then release a DLC of 20-25 bucks each year to upgrade the game to the latest line ups and similar. Since you do not really make much upgrades in each game! This is a scandalous way of selling games. DLC or old school expansion packs would be more suiting and more catering to the gamers.

I do not pirate movies or games, I used to, but not anymore. If I want a game, I buy it and in that way show that I play their games. Maybe on sale or not but I do buy all my games. All my movies. If I like something, I will show that affection. I find it very strange to see people proclaim they have the right to pirate. But doing like the person in this comment said, will not move the giants but kill the small companies that put their blood and money in to making products that might often be much better then watered down games like Diablo 3, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.

I can understand if people pirate these mass release games that come every year or World of Warcraft, a pay to play game that do not deserve it's position but since its the loudest screaming monkey out there, it get a lot of attention and the monkey been hording a lot of junk it gathered, while it beats the other skinny monkeys that is badly in need of food and looting aswell. But the fat monkey is getting old. But yet we continue to feed the fat monkeys and kill the skinny young monkeys.

Pirating will never hurt the bigger companies, it hurts the small. It makes them become bought up by the others. Why do we do this? Why do we keep on supporting the same game every year? Why do we pay to play a MMO that simply lives off its well established fundament yet old gameplay, old mechanics and stolen things from everywhere?
Why do we keep buying inferior games like Dragon Age 2? I for one will boycot the next Dragon Age, I will never buy a full price Call of Duty as of now and I keep away from WoW even if its sometimes is appealing to see a MMO game with lot of players. These games, are large reason to why things become pirated but it hurts t he small studios, not the big. They do not care. They do already make enough and if they do not? They just cut of some dead meat.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Games and pirates

Post by Joseph » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

An excellent point. And well written. When I was reading it my first thought was "Who helped him with his English?". ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Joseph wrote:An excellent point. And well written. When I was reading it my first thought was "Who helped him with his English?". ;)
Haha thanks :D

EDIT: And I did write this on my own to be honest. I just presume I aimed for a more valid point and to make it readable! :haha:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 pm

I got to love the arguement "But pirating do not make a diffrence since they would not get the money anyway"

No but seriously, you get something for free that someone worked on. -.-

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Indeed. If someone isn't "getting my money anyway" it's because I have no interest in it, free or otherwise.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Joseph wrote:Indeed. If someone isn't "getting my money anyway" it's because I have no interest in it, free or otherwise.
Exactly, its like stealing a fanta and saying "I Bought cola...not like they would get any money anyway" lol wut.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I got Dishonored for X-mas. It was a gift, I suspect it was full price ($50-60). I could have gotten it on steam at 50% off multiple times over the last two weeks. I bought a ton of stuff on this last steam sale, I got a bunch of steam wallet cards for x-mas, like $150 worth. I got a ton of stuff 50-75% off (and one thing 30% off). Mostly it was old games that took 3+ CDs to install.

I cant remember the last thing I pirated. It certainly wasnt Daggerfall in like 2005, and I certainly didn't pirate it because it was over ten years old and I couldn't find it anywhere to buy or anything. And I certainly didn't pirate NWN Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark the day they came out because Bioware screwed everyone with the OC for that game. That being said I bought the complete D&D collection download through the Gamestop download steam-like thingy in August. Came With NWN+expansions, NWN2+expansions, BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, PS:T, ToEE and all associated expansions from all those games. Only cost $20.

Basically, my point is, I would rather spend $5 to get a game off Steam and not have to worry about the Federales busting down my front door than pirate it.