I need gaming suggestions...

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

I need gaming suggestions...

Post by Joseph » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Alright gang. I need suggestions. I need a title or two I'll enjoy to pass the odd hour or two unwinding from work.

You should know my tastes. Crpgs (ala the old BIS titles) and the occasional RTS (like the old Age of Empires) series.

So... what's good? What will I like?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: I need gaming suggestions...

Post by Gorth » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 am

Well, that's a tricky one, because the reason we keep playing those antique's is exactly that nothing better, or even same quality, has shown up in the decade since :(

Having high hopes for Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian) and Wasteland 2 (Brian Fargo's game), but neither is going to be released in immediate future (although W2 now has a beta out for backers, which includes me), so not much help there. I got Age of Empires 2 HD on a steam sale, but I'm struggling with the interface (doesn't scale well to very high screen resolutions, interface text being miniscule).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Gorth wrote:Well, that's a tricky one, because the reason we keep playing those antique's is exactly that nothing better, or even same quality, has shown up in the decade since :(
Quite true.
Having high hopes for Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian) and Wasteland 2 (Brian Fargo's game), but neither is going to be released in immediate future (although W2 now has a beta out for backers, which includes me), so not much help there. I got Age of Empires 2 HD on a steam sale, but I'm struggling with the interface (doesn't scale well to very high screen resolutions, interface text being miniscule).
Thanks for letting me know. I took a look on GoG once for Age of Empires 2 but it never occurred to me to check Steam. And I see there's an expansion for it. Now if only they've fixed the difficulty. What always annoyed me was that turning it up didn't make your computer opponents smarter, just faster, moving through stockpiling resources and advancing ages absurdly fast.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 am

You could by the rereleased Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 with new content. But Im not sure you would find them worth it.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:02 pm

I wish I could help you, but gaming nowadays is a shadow of long lost, ancient glory.

The best advice I can give is get onto GOG.com and look at the RPG section and pick some of those old games you never played that are on the "people who bought Baldur's Gate also bought..." list and all.

If you can get over the clicky-actiony gameplay The Witcher offers excellent (Action-)RPG entertainment and it is pretty cheap nowadays. I enjoyed it immensely, but then I'm usually not bothered by weird control schemes.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am

What about Pillars of Eternity, Original Sin, Dead State, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 am

Um... two years late but sure, welcome to the party.

As for gaming... bah! Mobile games suck! It's way too easy to spend money on them at the mere touch of a touchscreen. And they're not even that good.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Never to late to game mate. I posted new ideas ;)

Mobile games are all click shit games with no real control.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:42 am

If you still need something to play, I can recommend Borderlands 2. The game is a blast (often quite literally). Even better if you get the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep DLC

It's a game within the game, where you step out of the "familiar" surroundings and end up playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons (although, of course named slightly different as to not to infringe on trademarks). It's a hoot.

Since sharing youtube medias isn't much of an option, I would say, look for some "best of" type videos when searching for tiny tina and dlc.

(first 5 minutes or so of the DLC) https://youtu.be/AstmpehLRZc

The game is really made for co-op, so if you know other people who play it, so much the better. Especially if they like a bit of poking fun of DnD tropes too.

Edit: 35 year of video gaming and I think it's safe to say, I've never met a better villain than Handsome Jack (the antagonist in the main game).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 pm

I enjoyed the first Borderlands game back on the old PS3. Good times gaming with some friends, three TVs and PS3s in the same room... a haze of... ;)

Ultimately though I don't have time for more than a few minutes of mobile gaming. I work full time and when I'm not working at work I'm working on music, writing projects and trying to teach myself video editing so I can get Winterwind's YouTube channel launched. And then I'll be focused on music, video journalism and sketch comedy and short films.

It that takes off and I eventually no longer need the day job... then I may have time for gaming. :)