What are you playing right now?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
majestic

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by majestic » Sun May 04, 2014 10:40 am

Ah, have you ever played PS:T Marcus?
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun May 18, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm (re)playing System Shock 2. Highly recommended if you haven't played it yet and don't mind shooterish RPG/survival horror hybrids.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:27 pm

bought TEW 2013, an interesting upgrade from their previous versions. I love it, totally worth the 34 bucks.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun May 25, 2014 12:21 am

majestic wrote:Ah, have you ever played PS:T Marcus?
I managed to finally finish the game 2 summers ago :D

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 am

I finished System Shock 2.

Hell of a game I have to say. Haven't been this scared to walk around a corner in a long, long while.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Never played it. Perhaps I should if that's the result.

Other than that I'm kind of hooked on mobile games. Pocket Trains is my latest passing obsession. ;)

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 am

System Shock 2 is really good!

Also! Joseph! Lol! Mobile games :) Found some that are more like proper games and not only pay to get further now or grind for weeks? :)

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Joseph wrote:Never played it. Perhaps I should if that's the result.
Perhaps you should indeed. :mrgreen: Be warned though, it's a precursor to Deus Ex (gameplay wise, not story wise). That essentially means a shooter with RPGish elements - and those RPGish elements aren't exactly a showcase of well balanced. Still, one of the greats. Intense atmosphere, really.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Worth checking out then if you give it that kind of endorsement with the atmosphere.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Decided to buy System Shock 2. Have no idea how to hack without having levels in hack. Which makes getting through one of the first doors impossible though

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Warning, minor spoilers on how useful skills are in the game ahead. Skip if you want to find out on your own (at your own peril later in the game :mrgreen:). Disclaimer: None of that really matters with easy or normal difficulty because you really get more than enough cyber modules to develop your character. Still... why make your life needlessly hard.

Fluffy17 wrote:Decided to buy System Shock 2. Have no idea how to hack without having levels in hack. Which makes getting through one of the first doors impossible though
There's hacking tools called I.C.E Picks to be found on many of the decks, but they are generally only enough to do the bare amount of hacking you really need to do. Actually, there's only ONE thing you need to hack in the entire game to finish it (and that door right at the start isn't one of them, it's just a storage room), and you're being provided means to an end to do so (either a pick or a quick skill up).

That being said hacking is *the* single most useful tech ability in the game and I consider it an absolute must have. There's a PSI power that essentially does the same, just never as good - and hey, PSI powers suck some serious ass and you're better off without them, or using them solely as a convenient means to get a few buffs. Hacking allows you to open doors quickly and, more importantly, grab a truckload of supplies otherwise locked in crates.

So that's what I meant with the RPGish elements being unbalanced. Hacking is super useful, repair is totally useless (nothing game critical to repair and for everything else there's auto-repair tools), modifying also sucks and only needs a single point (yeah, you guessed it, there are modification tools for the better modifications later on). Maintenance is really important because your weapons break at ridiculous speeds (stop at 4 points because the others are wasted) and research... yeah, research only needs a single point for gameplay reasons.

Weapons are the biggest clusterfuck in the game though.

There's four types:

Standard
Energy
Heavy
Exotic

So here's the fun thing. Energy weapons only work well against non-organic enemies while exotic weapons only work against organics. Here's the kicker - standard weaponry can load armor piercing, regular or hollow point ammunition.

So a simple press of a button turns a regular pistol from robot killer to ripping organics in half. It's like having an energy weapon AND an exotic weapon in one. Also, at standard 6 you can use the assault rifle. Which is essentially a pistol with much more stopping power. Oh, right, and those three types of ammo. Heh.

That leaves heavy weapons, where the most useful one only needs a single point in the skill to use.

So there's stats (str, endurance and agility being the prime ones, with cyber affiniticy being at least useful) and PSI left. PSI is good if you pick some points up for the buffs, but it's not really worth it.

Exotic weaponry is doubly bad because you need high research to even use them. They break quickly and with ALL of them you can easily kill yourself. Ammunition is also very sparse. So you're essentially wasting points in the weapon skills AND the research skill.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:40 pm

So... Steam Summer Sale. Age of Empires 2 and 3 in a bundle. Thought sure, used to pass hours on AoE2 but... this was one disappointing purchase, 50% off or not.

My gripe with the original version was the difficulty settings. Medium (and the two below obviously) is far too easy but going up to hard and hardest didn't improve the AI at all. It just meant that your computer opponents advanced from dark to feudal to castle to finally the imperial age faster than you could advance from dark to feudal.

I'd hoped they'd fixed that flaw with the updated version. Boy, was I wrong. Now, even on the easiest setting, you're getting massacred by opponents far more advanced than you. There's no fun at all focusing on simply trying to (impossibly) keep pace with the computer.

Steam's Steaming Pile.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 pm

See, now you know that you should have played System Shock 2 instead. :D

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Been focusing on XCom: Enemy Unknown. Very addicting if I say so myself

-Rachel Duncan

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:06 am

Playing around with Crusader Kings II for a long time. Finally decided to take stuff seriously. Decided to try to be the king of Nubia and my first wife gave me an awesome kid, my second wife then gave me a hunchback and one that's constantly ill. So I had an affair with a married woman.

Seriously I don't need a Game of Thrones mod for this game, the evil is already there

-Rachel Duncan