What are you playing right now?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
majestic

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by majestic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 am

I gots myself Wasteland 2, what with it being made by inXile and all that. It's certainly a fun romp with good ideas and it has got me hooked, but it could be better. Especially the story seems to be a bland rehash of what has gone before, unless there's some huge surprise down the road I haven't discovered yet.

Still, lots of hours of solid entertainment and a 40€ well spent, I'd say (unless it has an ending as bad as Mass Effect 3 did, which invalidated ALL the money I spent on the ENTIRE franchise, but I can't imagine it being that bad).

Random encounters do get a little ridiculous though. Mind numbingly boring and repetitive and there are LOTS of those. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS. No wonder they built in a skill with the sole purpose of being able to evade them. Heh. They probably cheated themselves a max rank of that skill in for critical path testing purposes.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Hmm... I'm now on the fence about getting it.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:33 am

Joseph wrote:Hmm... I'm now on the fence about getting it.
At the moment I'm considering it money well spent, truth be told. I bought it at GOG for 40€ and got a 10€ discount (it's a little less of a discount now after some exchange rate changes) for some future purchase. It does have a few weaknesses mostly related to character attributes and skills, and some weird interface bugs, but all in all it's a good game.

It's no Fallout by a long shot but then, what is? :mrgreen:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Nothing is Fallout except Fallout no matter what swill Bethesda tries to push.

As far as the interface bugs... I'd assume there'll be patches coming.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Finished Wasteland 2. Totally awesome main theme / credits song by Miracle of Sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtU2U4rLFA by the way.

While the game was definitely off to a slowish start, the pace readily picks up the farther you come. Sadly, the bugs too, I had some quests I was unable to finish because I probably broke the the order in which they were meant to be completed, but that's the price you pay for being pretty much able to go wherever you want, in that regard it's a bit like the original Baldur's Gate - you can pretty much go everywhere you please (with the same side effect, get to the wrong area too early and suffer the consequences. Yes, I'm looking at you, stupid Firewine bridge!) but some areas are off-limits for plot reasons until you can reach them.

Quest bugs aside there's the tiny little issue with the controls messing up every now and then, so instead of the camera you're suddenly moving the shadows of the objects in the vicinity. Especially annoying if it happens during combat because it can mess up your turn.

Speaking of combat, eh...

This really is old school - and by old school I mean you get dumped into the world with skill points and attributes to spend and only the barest of ideas what's what and how important it could be in the long run. The attribute "Intelligence" is a prime example of that - it determines the amount of skill points you get per level up, but it does have breakpoints. 4 points give 3 skill points per level, 8 points 4 per level and 10 points 5 per level. While 10 INT is excessive and not really needed, less than 8 is actually detrimental if you want to pick up all the useful skills.

With the small amount of attributes you can distribute in the beginning (21 points to spend across 7 attributes for a total of 28, as you can't get below 1 for obvious reasons) knowing what to do is quite important. I found Luck to be a complete dump-stat, you get a golly good 1% bonus per point in various stats like chance to dodge an attack or scoring a critical hit as well as a chance to get an extra action point per round or some more hitpoints on a level up, but nothing about it really compares to having enough combat initiative to get that first turn or getting an extra attack per round because you have enough action points.

This sort of leads to the interesting situation of even high strength melee brawler builds having lots of intelligence (although given the weapons I found it's probably best to keep melee to, well, blunt weapons, can't really argue with that Plasma Hammer thingy too much. Maximum armor penetration and MASSIVE crits AND it can attack diagonally, unlike brawling... whew).

The weapon classes of course come in all sorts of different usefulness with bladed weapons, hand guns, shotguns and submachine guns kind of being in the lower echelon of usefulness and sniper rifles (all the best sniper rifles can realibly one-shot enemies unless they're boss level), energy weapons (can't crit but have inverse armor piercing, the higher the enemy's armor is the better - find one with burst fire mode and also realiably melt down an enemy per turn), assault rifles and heavy weapons definitely being the top tier, but operating heavy weaponry is quite expensive. Those things are heavy and eat ammo like there's no tomorrow, and ammo isn't all that abundant (and freaking heavy, seriously, half of your alloted carry weight or more goes towards carrying all that ammo around). There's also blunt weapons like the aforementioned Plasma Hammer which is a really scary thing to behold if combined with high skill and critical hit modifications - can also chew out an enemy per turn if you get lucky with crits. Having a melee guy on the team also helps with early ammo conservation.

Also, uhm, a word of warning and a really mild "spoiler" - in the game you can recruit NPCs to follow you, effectively giving you seven party members to play around with instead of four. That's quite nice but really, keep in mind that they *can* and *will* disappear for plot related reasons, and unlike the oh so obvious Yoshimo in BG2 you're not going to see those coming.

General and Knowledge Skills are much like Weapon Skills, but some are redundant. Not redundant as in "oh if you have that you won't need this" but weirdly redundant. Like Field Medic and Surgeon - one lets you use medkits (well, health potions, really) while the other one lets you use remove debuffs and bring people back from being knocked out or dying. The thing is, there's no synergy. While it makes sense that a maxed out Field Medic cannot perform surgery if needed it makes no real sense for him not to be able to use a suture kit to sew up a wound.

Eh, and it doesn't really make sense that a fully trained surgeon being able to cure diseases, stop poison, use suture kits AND being able to bring people back from the brink of death not not even being able to use a silly level 1 medkit to patch someone's wounds. I mean, really?

There's also talky skills, yeah, three of them - and if you guessed that your charisma stat has absolutely NO influence on how good a talker you are, then you're right, because charisma gives bonus XP (huh?), makes your leadership better (make sense) and allows you to recruit companions that otherwise won't join you, and it is a group stat insofar as the game takes the average charisma of your party into account when doing charisma checks, not your highest value.

Also, picking locks and opening creates is a bit of an ordeal. In the worst case, they're rigged with explosives, an alarm and are locked. Which are all different skills (demolitions, alarm disarming and lockpicking, respectively). Then there's safe cracking which allows you to open safes (no no can't use lockpicking for that, nah siree, sorry) but not all of them. Some safes do have password prompts, and for that you have computer science (which is also useful to hack computers and other security systems, so it's not half bad).

The funniest thing is the skill called "Brute Force" - which really describes how good you are in applying brute force, and it's not even really tied to your strength attribute, so your scrawny brainy guy can actually punsh through walls and all that. Heh.

However once you're *through* with learning the mechanics and realizing what's useful and what not the game is really great. Lots and lots of sidequests, and even the sidequests have sidequests. You can also run around and repair every toaster you find. Sounds silly? It is. But really, as the skill says, people leave the DARNDEST thing IN TOASTERS. Even big black dildos. ;)

So while safe cracking lets you open what can be considered high-quality treasue chests with random loot you really need toaster repair to find quest items of a nice bunch of semi-hidden sidequests. Don't leave home without it. Really. And eh, never leave anything you can find with toaster repair in your stash at home. The game really won't tell you when and what to bring with you, and so it happens that something found in the beginning of the game can really net you a nice reward at the very end. Like that bronze sphere in PS:T.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Europa Universalis 4.

I think this game is meant to make me look stupid. Everybody but me seems to think everything is easy on this game but I can't even get n a freaking boat. :roll: Overall the learning curve is too much for me to enjoy it, shame as I was hoping for a lot from a paradox game
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Joseph wrote:As far as the interface bugs... I'd assume there'll be patches coming.
Pretty big patch that apparently solves a lot of issues in the latter half of the game came out recently. Haven't really had the chance to test it all that much seeing how Wasteland 2 is a pretty huge game that takes a while and I just started fresh on Supreme Jerk difficulty.

The battles are noticably more tedious on SJ since enemies apparently only take half the damage, and I already had to reload more often due to lost fights than I had in the entire first run. So far me likes, but I'm not really certain if I will find the time required to replay on that difficulty. Maybe the pace will pick up now that I've finally gotten myself an M-16 in Arizona. :haha:

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:33 pm

Preordered Pillars of Eternity on GOG. Watched the trailer, want. NOW. NOW.

Did I mention WANT NOW NOW NOW?

Heh.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Worked more on EU4, realized I can handle it as long as I play a landlocked country and completely ignore the trade game. Shame that I still can't get on a boat as there are a lot of coastal countries I want to play as.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:31 am

Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'd say the soundtrack alone makes up for everything that went wrong with Mass Effect 3. Heh.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:22 pm

majestic wrote:Preordered Pillars of Eternity on GOG. Watched the trailer, want. NOW. NOW.

Did I mention WANT NOW NOW NOW?

Heh.
So yeah. Finished the game a while ago. Anyone else here playing?

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Played it. Was good. 8.5/10. or 85/100. Not quite BG2, but on par with DA:O.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:15 am

Pillars of Eternity, I hold it over Dragon Age Origins even, Bioware lost something back after Mass Effect 1 or around that time. It became more and more a cinematic shit feast.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Mass Effect (the first one) was a masterpiece, it just wasn't a real cRPG. The actual problem that came from it was that the idea of a dialogue wheel which might be appropriate for a shooter with RPGish elements can somehow supplant proper dialogue and dialogue options/trees in real RPGs.

So that's when Dragon Age 2 happened. Granted Inquisition was a good deal better, but the weakness of the dialogue wheel remained. Pillars of Eternity reminded me of how much better more dialogue options are than having three or four fully voiced ones.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Why do they have to add the god damn wheel to all their games?

YES dialogue options are good! Bioware is just lazy *beep*.