Website/forum activity

Announcements, site and forum feedback
Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Re: Website/forum activity

Post by Jan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:00 pm

That's a bit self-contradictionary, because any activity is part of the solution as I read you. The ones that are not part of the solution, well.. they are already absent of course. :wink:

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Not at all contradictory when you consider factors beyond the limited ones you are. But then you've always had a rather limited vision. Haven't you Jan? Yes, yes you have.

Jan

Post by Jan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Stop projecting man. Just face your worst fears you little girl and be done with it and then come back and play nice with the boys.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm rubber and you're glue...

Ah well, at least this counts as activity of a sort. Keep posting kiddies. Keep it up. Tell your friends too. Plenty of ezines to read. Plenty of posts to make. Plenty of pecan pies for everyone.

Jan

Post by Jan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Hear! Hear!

Listen to the man, but just don't read his comments, that would you scare you away. :mrgreen:

ImOnWagner
Title: Sharthead

Re:

Post by ImOnWagner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 am

Joseph wrote: We don't have teenagers spamming anymore. They've either grown up or gone or both.
Miss us, don't you? :lol:

Teenager is back, but no point in spamming a graveyard. You can't piss off skeletons and shit.

As for bringing in new traffic i have a couple ideas... (of course i didn't read past page 3 so these could be touched upon)
Thing is that winterwind's originals were all exiles from ye olde interplay, god bless its financially-unsound soul. After that there was never really a binding appeal besides is small and personal community and the ezine. Meanwhile, Ezines are a great way for writers to publish their stuff but aren't an incredibly engaging medium, and only a few of the sections of the forums ever were directly related to the zine. Even large magezine publishers with lots of subscribers are switching to systems with less division between author and reader (conde nast and their ' reddit ' forums , for example)

The website doesn't stand a competitive edge against things like that, with more production power, advertising revenue, and legit payrolls. But bigger isn't better for every application. One way to give the site appeal would be to make the zine less of a formal thing or to make it more about giving writers who wander in a place for them to publish their work to a small audience but maintain full control of their work. This would be, more or less, blurring some distinction between posting and publishing. it would give said wandering writers a place to post their text where it looks and sounds more or less professional, they would then share their content with their peers (family, friends, teachers). Writers get published, winterwind gets traffic. (and the writers get published to a website that presumably isn't as informal as writing.com-- but really it could be as long as the site-navigation more-or-less goes one way)

Another part of the site that can still bring traffic without being competitive is the rpg forums. If we can provide a relatively private place for folks to have text-based rpg campaigns we can get some regular members who are consistent for extended periods of time. The format of limiting an rpg to a thread, or a thread and off-thread, is too restrictive to have a detailed game and this community is too small to start one of our own. I understand how many websites already exist for the sole-purpose of roleplaying games, but privacy is highly desirable for such an activity-- and not having to sort through other-groups posts and such might be enough of a reason to get a round table or three to post up and settle in. The issue with this is that there's no ads on the forums, so while this might bring people on the website they'dnt be driving any advertising traffic unless this changed.

The reason that i see for the forums not maintaining activity is that there's no real identifiable connecting interest between the entire (legacy) population, besides a game company that went out of business 7 years ago. There's cultural bits and some similar tastes, but nothing to keep content rolling, meanwhile the rest of the internet is fast becoming constantly-rolling content where there's new things to look at as fast as you can click the refresh button (perfect for ever-shortening attention spans.) There's no way to keep that forum too lively except as offposts and pseudo-personal messages.
Warning: The post you just read may contain little to no content, by reading this you hereby agree that it was read it at your sole discretion.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:22 pm

An excellent post. Well thought out.

I've always known we'd never get the activity of various fan sites, for example, NMA for Fallout, the Trek BBS for Star Trek, etc, etc. I had hoped that our various guest contributors to the ezine would be more active but with the exception of Firstborn, who quickly became an invaluable member of the team and Jez, most would join, make a few posts and wander off. Our newest, Michael Collins, has quickly become a valued member but mostly behind the scenes, contributing or soliciting additional content but he himself doesn't post actively.

What I've always believed we needed were more people than just myself trying to get the word out to other artists/writers, etc. And I've stumbled across numerous small sites/forums with only a dozen or so members that were dedicated to writing. I've often thought it would be better for all for a merger of sorts, one larger site/forum as opposed to several smaller ones but then it seems to become a matter of personal pride/independence, where they're reluctant to give up their own "identity" to become part of a larger group. And I can understand that. If someone came along and asked us to merge with them, taking on the name of their site, I'd say no.

Still, I do think there's potential in joining forces with smaller sites.

As for RPG forums and players, an excellent idea. And by all means, if you know of any groups or individuals, please feel free to invite them.

As for ads, I'm not overly concerned in that regard. Our expenses were always paid out of pocket by me, and more recently with Jan and Gorth making PayPal donations. Would I like growth and some additional income from this site? Absolutely. I would never want the site covered with ads but some revenue would be nice as it would immediately go back out to the site/team. I'd love to give Jan some money for his work on the site and forums. I'd love to give Firstborn some money as a thanks for all of her visual work on the ezine and to be able to sent some money to our various contributors. And I'd also eventually like to satisfy Firstborns desire to see the ezine become a PDF in standard print magazine dimensions.

And on the subject of contributors having full control of their work, here, they always have. I've never edited anything in the sense of a traditional editor. Beyond minor typos and blatant grammatical mistakes, we've never changed a thing.

Again, an excellent post. And if you know of any writers, artists or rpg players, let them know we're here.

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am

Uhm, yes, I'm not very good at the whole posting thing really am I?

In fact, for a writer, you'd be surprised at the amount of time I spend not writing.

I shall try to rectify both somehow!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:36 am

I think i know why that is Michael, you're too addicted to football, i'm quite sure now that you've taken on your cuddly stuffed animal avatar.

I'm with you though, dont worry, i'm the christmas tree you see pop up there once in a while (great weather in Poznan) :)

[edit] Heheh, maybe we could ask Bert if we can join with them :) would love to see the reactions to an RPG forum appearing, on the other hand, he himself has a thing for number cruncing of course :)[/]
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm

I saw the weather in Poznan the other day for the football. Ever so slightly snowy.

And that was it before it got worse!

(Re the avatar, in theory, one day I have all these cuddly toys I can write an epic series of childrens books. I haven't gotten to the writing or thinking up the story yet though!)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 am

wrong spot, obviously, but since i've got you posting anyway, gonna be some nice clash between the two of us in two and three weeks.

(and yes, I don't want to claim all of that business)
(and yes, I know all about St Patick Thistle)
(and yes, I'm prolly without internet while all of this happens, but i'll be sure to catch some of it.)
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Which sport? I can't think of an upcoming Scotland/Poland clash off the top of my head?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 am

Michael S Collins wrote:In fact, for a writer, you'd be surprised at the amount of time I spend not writing.
Think of it as planning. For somebody working in the world of software, I spend a surprising amount of time not writing software :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with stuffed animals. I work slowly but steadily on expanding my collection of Aussie wildlife in stuffed toy animal form. A habit resulting from too much time spent in airports (where the souvenir stores are way too conveniently located).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Go figure. ImOnWagner makes an intelligent, analytic post and you Euros trash it up and off-topic with your football nonsense. The only reason I'm not handing out warnings is because even though off-topic, it is activity. Oh, and it's really slow so I can't go warning or banning people. You guys dodged a bullet there I tells ya.

Jan

Post by Jan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Don't let those sport jocks get away with it. I'm right behind you. Think the warning, see the warning, be the warning and channel it into a murderous rage. GO GO GO!!!