Regarding Winterwind's future - READ ME

Announcements, site and forum feedback
Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm

I think now that Lina is part of the team, the e-zine will move towards being as kick-ass as it can be.

Hopefully that will lead to the forums being more active as well, only time can tell.

I also like the forums, but I hate maintaining them.

But the focus needs to be something that can draw people in. If the the forum start to get so overcrowded that we get performance issues, that's another story I guess.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Welcome to the team Lina! (or should i say their team, i am but a lowly forum moderator ;))

Oh and Spider, if its about activity, please tell us what happened to Vasteras SK at the end of the season, i know it might cost you some tears, but that makes the story better still!
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 am

Should winterwind continue? Well, let's hear what the google machine has to say about that: Should we continue?

I rest my case.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 am

Indeed, echoing everyone else, welcome to the team Lina!

With that out of the way however, I should comment on the future of the WW forums, and my answer is as noncommital as ever: If you feel that it's too much of a chore, then there's no reason in going on. It's nice if they keep on going, but I won't object to them being closed down.

This is partly because of personal reasons. First, because I am getting treated for depression, I am pretty much always mentally tired, and simply reading through a few boards, even on such an inactive forum as this, can leave me completely drained, even to the point where I fall asleep.

Second, I'm getting tired of forums in general, because on the occasions where I'm more energetic than usual, the almost glacial pace of forums is putting me off from participating, and so I'm using more time on social networks such as Facebook, or using instant messaging. And if I ever figure out my username and password for Skype, that would be another nail in the forums' coffin. Because there I won't have forgotten what in Fish's name I was going on about after a few senteces ;)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 pm

@ Jan

According to that, it's 764,000,000 saying "Yes" and 0 saying "No".

@ Magnus

I can understand the first, the personal. As for the second point, I think forums are just as valid now as they ever were. I don't do social networking sites. The only one I've ever registered on was for a threefold reason: 1) Started as a place to research that online dating/sex article I still haven't written 2) a place to meet artists (it's where both Jax and Melinda were met) and 3) to promote the ezine.

The dynamic of those social sites, or IMs is different, they're used for different purposes.

Our problem has largely been that 1) We're not a fansite. We're not dedicated to Star Trek or Doctor Who or a gaming franchise, etc and most people here never understood the "community of artists" aspect and 2) People are largely lazy, particularly the various team members we've had in the past. Building a community takes time and effort and that's something 97.89 percent of the people we've had just didn't do.

But the forums are staying for now. It's just incredibly disappointing to me that there's such a lack of support. Hell, of the 25 members on average we have logged in each barely half post. Does make me wonder what keeps them coming back when they're not participating since we're not a place to lurk for news or spoilers on this movie or that game, etc.

PS Nice to see both of you. On the same day and within an hour of each other. Were you two on a date or something? :wink:

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Darn, our secret is out.

Yes, Jan is my secret lover. We were planning to elope one of the days, since our respective societies won't accept our love. But it is simply to beautiful to let die!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Yeah, obviously, it's that love/hate thing that evolved.. just without the love or hate relatively speaking. :lol:

But I agree with all of you more or less and not least with Magnus.

I can understand why you'd want to terminate the ww forums, but I feel reluctant about it, because of the memories, the people and the spirit of this place. I have a feeling like I know a lot of you and it has been a pleasure.. mostly. :wink:

But I have also changed my focus away from this place, because I am generally more involved in the Day of Defeat:Source communities, where I play and voice-chat and attend forums regularly.

I've just become more of a dod:s gamer.. maybe because there isn't much else which attracts my attention as it used to. Fallout 3 is just another nail in a coffin, which was already sealed shut.. rattling a few bones didn't change anything and so and so.

The activity here.. well in my mind it has changed from minutes to hourly to daily to weekly checks and now almost monthy checks to avoid that feeling of glacial pace. It needs a purpose beyond general discussion and ezines and it needs a live crew of regular users.. and it's going the wrong way. From a BiS/Interplay follow up to.. to.. something completely different.

General discussions are sometimes funny if they focus on the alternatives on a not too serious angle, but it's very time consuming and I just don't have that time anymore, because there are so many other things that steals my focus.

Btw, I'm kinda disappointed that noone wished my a happy birthday.. I guess that's how much I mean to you. :cry: ( :lol: ).

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Regarding the activity, it's not just in your mind, that's exactly how it is. Posting has indeed gone from hourly to daily to weekly to now almost monthly check-ins.

What's most interesting is that people say it would be a shame to close the forums, that it's a shame there isn't more activity but... they don't do much to make it active.

As for needing a purpose beyond "general discussion and ezines..."

Well, the purpose of any forum is to provide a place for general discussion on a range of topics and specific discussion on that site's content/product.

As for the direction...
Janmanden wrote:and it's going the wrong way. From a BiS/Interplay follow up to.. to.. something completely different.
Considering you've been here since almost Day One I honestly don't know how you can make that statement.

Winterwind was never, at any time, an IPLY/BIS fansite. Not once. From the day the site went online it was always an arts site. It was launched with an artist's profile, short stories and opinion columns. It has never been anything otherwise. The only connection to IPLY/BIS is that that is where the people who started this site met.

The reason there was gaming content on the site was because computer gaming encompasses several forms of art, ie; writing, graphics, music, etc. (There's even a gaming company out there called "Electronic Arts".) And with a lot of you being gamers (I'm not) I thought it would be nice to try and have "something for everyone".

As for your birthday, I emailed you. I didn't make a post because I you'd said you wouldn't be around for a while. :wink:

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Scuse me, I am sorry if I never replied here!

This is a good forum :D I like it! But I tend to be a bit dizzyminded and have to many places I want to check upon I often forget places.

But this place is excellent and fun. Sorry if I did not respond and it was partly aimed at me Josan :)

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am

haha! what a bunch of tools!

josan seriously you should close the place just because.

oh don't close it we'll miss it we're friends but noone acts like friends or posts. ha! what a joke

bet the team doesnt do shit too
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow. What can I say? As much as I don't want to, I'm forced to agree with SPJ.

It's very simple people.

Each month, 20-25 members log in to the forums. Of those, 15-20 post and of those, roughly half post more than once or twice.

At first I thought I was simply complaining too much but then last week on MSN, dousi and I had an interesting little chat.

Folks, dousi is probably one of the most easy going people I know and he always, repeat, always gives people the benefit of the doubt. When he makes the observation that it's stupid that people complain about the lack of activity and they themselves don't post... well, I know it's not just me.

Seriously, it's like being at a high school dance watching a bunch of virgins staring at each other, all wondering who's going to make the first move.

Every day, EVERY DAY, we have at least 10 members that log in, look to see if anyone else has posted and then leave.

Well folks, it's simple. Someone has to make the first move and it isn't going to be me. If each of those 10 people posted instead of making an excuse for not posting... gosh golly gee, we'd be active.

People say that it would be a shame to close the forums, that they think of the people here as friends... so... act like friends.

As for the team...

AngryKidJoe, dousi, Gorth, Janmanden, Lina, Magnus, Mattias and myself all have access to the Staff Forum.

Nine days ago, I made three posts for those people, the team members and the "insiders". After nine days, only three people have taken the time to reply.

When I send out a mass email to those people, asking for feedback and only three reply...

I don't know what the problem is. I hear the same old excuses "I don't know what to say" "My opinion isn't worth anything because I'm not an artist" etc etc etc.

I'm not looking for fucking 1000 word essays. Spelling and grammar do not count.

I'm looking for simple things like: "I like that" "I don't like that" "That's a good idea" "That's a bad idea".

It's simple. So absolutely utterly simple.

Trailer Park Jesus

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:11 am

ha! you agree with me huh?

so how did you manage to keep this site going for 5 years with a team that doesn't reply to posts? thats bullshit man

and virgins at a dance? classic line! that's this place totally. everyone waiting for everyone else to post first. this why you don't do the top posters lists now?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:29 pm

This thread deserves a little love so I'm going to give it some.

Very little I say or do is going to get our semi-regulars regular.

The same patterns apply two months into the new year: 20-25 logged in, 15-20 posting and then half of that posting regularly. There's also a distinct lack of response from those semi-regulars to almost everything in the ezine forum. They don't read it or reply and to me, that's just too bad for them considering that the site's content is the sole reason these boards remain. Ah well, can't please everyone.

I also don't understand the point of lurking here. These boards aren't a game developer's, TV show's or rock group's forums. There are no news bits or spoilers. It's a small community trying to do a quarterly pop culture, arts and social issues ezine so the lurking just doesn't make much sense to me though I suppose it could be flattering.

Anyhow, the forums stay for the sake of the ezine and for the regular, active users who do keep coming.

I said I was going to give this thread some love and here it is:

Thanks to AngryKidJoe, Bardawill and Lord sadness for having become consistently active lately. Thanks to Fluffy, Jan, John Arkham, obvious others and the Professor and Mary Ann for picking it up in spurts recently too. :)

Trailer Park Jesus

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:46 am

aw how sweet. some people step up some still suck

John Arkham

Post by John Arkham » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 pm

I admire the fact that this site is a community of artists rather than a fan site. When I can get more active I would love to discuss Duchamp, Chagall, Soutine, van Gogh and many others, contribute reviews, articles and art pieces to the online magazine.

Actually, I may dust off a few old film reviews that you can use for 'filler' if there is space to fill.

Maybe we should make a major effort to advertise this forum?
John Arkham - possible athiest, maybe theist, likely agnostic and unashamed mystic!

[img]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/Flamehater/france2.jpg[/img]