Announcements, site and forum feedback
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Public Service Announcement...

Post by Joseph » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Hmm. Things I noticed are...

When you're in a forum, dark template of course, at the top left, where is says "Moderator: The Mod Squad" the word "Moderator is black so it washes out.

Also noticed that Jan must have changed the "online" and "offline" indicators above the avatars to black, so all you get is red or green text. They're fine with the white bg around the words. Makes it stand out.

And I noticed that at the bottom, the "who is online, birthdays, etc, we've got the icons from the old dark template, like three people together. I actually like ones that came with the phpBB3 three better. They've got a spot of colour.

There was something else I noticed but... I don't recall what it was. I'm been searching via google to try to figure out how to make subforums to attach to main forums. IE: Perhaps making BIS a sub of general gaming.

EDIT:

I remember what it was... We should name the forum templates "winterlight" and "winterdark" or similar.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:57 am

Impressive, Jan. :)

You'd said you didn't think you'd get to the dark template until Thursday and by Sunday, both templates are almost completely done, including what I mentioned above.

A couple things I noticed quickly on the dark:

On the main index page, there are three segments on the right that have a small black border for some reason.

And when in a topic thread, with the light template, there's the grey border between posts that I like. Could that same border be made black on the dark template. As it is now, it's grey. Black would visually break up the alternating posts a bit better.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 am

oh sweet shit! forum upgrade! with friend or foe options too! you are all my foes!

but seriously nice upgrade for my sprees :twisted:
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Anastacia

Post by Anastacia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 am

The forum upgrade looks great. Thanks Jan

Cool foe option for the loud mouth.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:38 am

Arghh... the light! It's so bright!... I'm melting!... or was it "turning to dust"?

Nah, that was daylight. Time to see if there is a template that is slightly darker than the glaring bright default one :wink:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 pm

I really like the dark template, though, I personally would do one thing differently with it. The white boarder around the tables, I'd use a dark gray that still establishes a difference between the background and the gray tables. Very minor.

All in all, it looks great and you guys did a fantastic job of a hasty and smooth transition. You have my appreciation.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:24 pm

Jan did the fantastic job. The hard work was all his. And ahead of schedule too.

Only minor things I've noticed... for some reason, in some of the individual forums, the icons are hit and miss. IE: I new topic in one forum has our "blue icecube" icon but a new topic in a different forum is showing the generic one that came with the template. It's weird weird since they should be coming from the same source.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am

Josan wrote:Jan did the fantastic job. The hard work was all his. And ahead of schedule too.
...and here I thought he worked in IT? :mrgreen:

It's a pleasure to use the new software :haksthumbsup:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:09 am

Indeed. I quite like the new software, more than I thought I would.

Now, if only we could figure out what's causing the icon issue I mentioned above. And why italics works in AKJ's sig and in Jan's but not mine...

Hmm... just noticed some smileys don't seem to work either in certain forums either... SPJ's post last nigth in the DW webcomics thread. The img doesn't work, nor does the smiley.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:17 am

Again, thanks Josan and Jan for the update. The boards even load faster if memory serves right.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Satan's Onion
Title: Commence the jigglin

Post by Satan's Onion » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

I'm pretty sure they do load faster, now you mention it. I noticed it 'cos I'm on a terrible 56k connection. Great work!
Oh, God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"
Abe said "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say "No"
Abe say "What?"
God said "You can do what you want, Abe, but
the next time you see me comin', you better run"

Abe said "Where you want this killin' done?"
God said "Out on Highway 61"

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, Josan.. You should take a LOOK at your signature page and take a LOOK at the first checkbox labeled "Disable BBCode"..

If you are going to use BBCodes like bold, italic, underline.. etc.. and smilies and urls, then it should look like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Silly me. I looked at the legend beside that, that told me BBCodes were "On". That must refer to the board permissions in general.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 am

Here's a little fix that needs attention:

On the light template, the logo in top left goes to the home site, as it should. But it's squeezed into a small image.

On the dark template, the logo simple links back to the forums, it should be the site's home page. But it is the correct size.

And that's strange because I swear both were correct the other night.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:07 pm

I am willing to bet your head on the block, that there was a global setting, that would both set the dimensions of the logo as well as the target for the link, I know because I already set it. It was there, right after I upgraded the board, but it seems to have vanished or it's ghosting somewhere in the ACP that I simply can't spot.

I have deleted the insert point in the template and replaced it with hardcode in both templates. It fixes the problem and doesn't really make any difference, but it shouldn't have had to be this way. Once again, I'm baffled.