Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 am

I've been working at getting us some new players. I have one "maybe" and one "possibly" but neither is familiar with the system intimately, though they both at least know what dungeons and dragons is.

The "possibly" is from my Anarchy Online guild, asked him what he knew about D&D and this is what I got out of him. This is the most promising candidate I could find.

[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: first version was board where you use dice for damage calculation
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: would come with books
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: one for gm and one for players
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: and yu would involve your own story line or go with the books
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: and you would also make your own monsters as well as they had a bunch
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: you could be an elf knight and all that other shit my brother used to play that shit
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: he had character sheets you fill in with pencil or pen
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: depends on what your lookin for
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: shit dungeons an dragons is what started all this shit we know as rpg
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: aka anarchy final fantasy
[Mayhem (OTC)] Mayha: [Mayhem (OTC) Guest] Doomthreat: sega games
I would be willing to attempt to try to run it, though I havent done any DMing since my epic failure with my group back in high school. Still, willing to give it a shot, and I have some ideas. Either an old school set of four 1st edition books that I could convert to 3rd, or an idea I had about a campaign years and years ago that I half forgot, but I think would suit "Doomthreat", Josan, and others that use this board. Or could start with one and go to the other.

Any thoughts, comments, or interest?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 am

Well, as you know, I'm interested. Wished our other campaign had turned out differently but things are what they are.

You also know that I'm not a stickler for mechanics and rules. I know the basics and play mostly for the story and the group activity. :)

And thanks for working on recruiting players.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:29 pm

I gladly hop on.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 am

Alright, thats presumably three. Ill probably urge doomthreat (or whatever name he chooses to use here) to be a Fighter, just because its the most straightforward.

This is still on the conceptual stage, but if you want to start building your characters, heres a little advice.

If you decide to make a cleric, you shouldn't make your dump stat charisma.
A bard/rogue might be more useful than a straight rogue, and you might.
Balance, climb, and/or jump I can see being useful even if you have to take em cross class, though I dont forsee as much swimming.
You really want one person that has those skills, and use rope too.
More indoor city based than outdoor wilderness based.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Hmm... I was thinking of playing a fighter simply because A) I've never played just a straight fighter and B) of all of us, I know the least of the later editions of DnD. And I just played a rogue in dousi's campaign.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 am

Play what you want, Ill make it work. Two fighters would be fine. Four fighters would be fine. Though one person that has skills would help for what I gots planned.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Good. Because a fighter would be nice and easy for me. I've always felt that mages were the easiest to do with out. Mind you, I am thinking a cleric is almost a must-have. I suppose I could play a cleric if no-one else does...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Maybe I go sneaky rogue rogue this time or zealot! Then I can Rp to my fullest since It seems im pretty good at the insanely section of RP haha :D

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Well, that would help me. A plain fighter would make my life simpler. Less skills and no spells to worry about.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:25 am

You will probably be okay without a mage. Two fighters, a rogue or bard/rogue or rogue/monk or bard/monk who likes to open locks, and a cleric would be a valid party.

Druid and ranger would be less useful. Unless the ranger picks the right favored enemy. But then his wilderness stuff might be less useful.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Need one player more?
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Yes yes yes! Absolutely yes!

And welcome back my friend. Your post actually made me smile!

:lordfish:

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Well that actually rounds out the group. Nifty. Should be ready to start in a couple weeks. I just will want to talk to some of my friends for some advice.

And its going to start in a tavern, as all good adventures do. Long story short, it starts out with the "patron hiring a group to do something" background. You can either all know each other, or some know each other, or all random people that heard of the job.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

If you'll be ready to start in a couple of weeks, then we should have our characters created by next Sunday (May 6th) at the latest.

I think three campaign threads, as we did with the last one, is the way to go. One for reference (character sheets, etc,), one for discussion and one play thread.

Merl, I'll give you mod access for this forum so you can run things, edit, etc,.

What world are we playing in anyhow? One of the "official" ones or a "homespun" one?

EDIT: Done. Merl, made you a mod of this sub-forum, created the three threads and changed the post authorship over to you.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:23 pm

By the by, I don't know if my reading comprehension is worse than usual, but what edition of DnD are we using? 3.5?
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!