Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 am

Working on my guy right now. Am I understanding this correctly... My starting skill points are 16? 2 + INT modifier, which is 2, x4? So 16 skill points to start?

And I start with three feats? One normal, one for race (human) and one for class (fighter).

Oh, and I'm attaching my rolls as proof since they turned out better than I'd hoped.

EDIT: Wait. What? Just noticed Merl's post to Gorth about four extra skill points for being human. So I'd get 20 as well it seems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:15 am

The post was to you. I dont know how it got behind your post.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 am

I still didn't figure out what the following is:

Touch AC:
SR:
DR:

Hints???

Also, what would be "appropriate" additional languages to pick up for a sneak in this part of the world?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:48 am

If I remember correctly, touch AC is 10 + your dexterity modifier. SR is spell resistance, kinda like AC vs. magic, and I don't think we automatically start out with any. DR is damage resistance, a flat reduction in damage. We do not start out with any.

::edit::

Here's what the dandwiki says about touch AC: "Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally."
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:26 pm

MERLANCE wrote:The post was to you. I dont know how it got behind your post.
I do. Multiple tabs open. A couple threads here, a couple d20 pages, editing, accidentally deleting, re-posting...

So... 20 skill points and since you didn't say otherwise, I'm assuming three feats to start is correct.

Languages... I start with 5? Common plus my INT modifier?

And are we just choosing generic like Common, Elven, Dwarven, Goblin, etc, etc?

I'm working on the ezine right now while trying to decide between two-weapon style or weapon and shield.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:42 pm

20 skill points sounds right, yes. (2 from class + 2 from INT + 1 from race) * 4

3 feats are also correct, though one has to be from the bonus feat list.

As for languages, you get 3: Common + 2 for your INT modifier (you only have 14 INT).

::edit::

As for which languages, we might want to coordinate on this one. I've already sprung for the odd ones like celestial, infernal, draconic and sylvan, so you guys might want to pick up the slack elsewhere.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:57 pm

D'oh. Yeah, sorry, was thinking about the x4 part of the skill points formula for some reason.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Does everybody get 3 feats???

Next on Gorth's wishlist is Weapon Finesse. It would sort of be silly not picking that one as a rogue.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:53 pm

The number of feats you get depends on your race/class combination. You'll always get at least 1 for being level one, but after that it depends. Humans start with an additional feat, and fighters get one bonus feat, which can only come from their class-specific list. Rogues, alas, do not get bonus feats, so you start with two feats. According to the SRD, however, you may substitute your later special abilities for a bonus feat, but I'm not really sure if anything is gained by that.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Magnus wrote:As for which languages, we might want to coordinate on this one. I've already sprung for the odd ones like celestial, infernal, draconic and sylvan, so you guys might want to pick up the slack elsewhere.
Since we're from a generic, no-name realm, we should coordinate, yes, after Merl lets us know some of the factors, ie; how common are the other races, are they isolated, etc, etc. No point picking dwarven for example if they're holed up in a mountain with no outside contact for centuries.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Now you're making me feel bad about naming your world. Just accept it as alternate prime material plane. Not Earth, Middle Earth, Oerth, Toril, Eberron, Krynn, Qui Hamor etc, but one of dozens (hundreds? infinite?) material planes.

If you want to call it something, call it Merland. Yes thats a joke.

Just think of your sterotypical D&D world. Humans are the dominant race in most regions. Elves live mostly in the woods in magnificent elf cities. And so on.

Foltzhausen is a major port city on the west side of a powerful kingdom. Its reasonably cosmopolitan, 79% human 21% other. Elves, gnomes, halfings, dwarves, half orcs, probably some monsters too live and work there. Its reasonably integrated, so theres not TOO much racial strife (no elves and gnome gangs brawling in the street for example). But its a fairly low powered world, doubt theres too many people in the city over 9th level. The high priest of Lathander maybe, the Master of the North Wind in the local martial arts dojo, and so on.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Bah. Don't feel bad (not like you really do). Generic is fine. I just wanted to know about the frequency of the races for the sake of picking languages.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:05 am

Well it would be safe to pick the races of the basic races. Common would be common for your world, lets call it "Imperial Common". Elf, dwarf, gnome, then the language of your "enemy" races like Giant, Undercommon, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan. Then you have the weird languages, Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal, and so on. Then you get the completely esoteric languages, like High Elven, Ancient Abyssal. Then you have secret languages like Drow Sign Language, Druidic, Thieves cant.

Would be safe to pick Two common, one uncommon, and one weird or something. Never know what Auran will come in handy. For example, you could know Common, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, and Ignan. If you were a thief, Thieves cant wouldnt be unreasonable, or if you were a wizard with skill focus knowledge the planes, you could get ancient abyssal (not that there would be much cause to use it, though I did pick it up in one pnp campaign).

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 am

Happy 1600th post, Merl :)

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah okay guys!

Here we go.

I make a character this weekend, give me instructions and tell me what races I can play and what classes we are missing.