All drow IWD2 party?

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

All drow IWD2 party?

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 am

I heard this is a butchery for all those black blooded sinful damn orcs and goblins out there.

2 Fighters, 1 Sorceress, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue and?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 am

You don't need a 6th. If you do, I'd take either another fighter or another spellcaster.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am

Hmm, if I skip the 6th I get back on the exp for the high ECL I presume. But It will feel lonely without the 6th perhaps. :) I am so used to 6 chars.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:36 am

The sixth character should be a dual wielding drow ranger. You can call him Dratzz :)

I once tried the game with 6 clerics (the menacing missionaries) and with a tree hugger party (druids and rangers). Never made it far with any of those themed parties, but it was fun for a while.

Maybe an all halfling barbarian band some day?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 am

All halfling barbarian party? Hmm hehe...

Dratzz? Nice concept! Where did you get it Gorth! ;)

Maybe I make one just cause :D

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:07 pm

He's making fun of Drizzt.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Oh yes I knew that Josan :P I played dumb/sarcastic or how you want to put it :)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:05 pm

My bad. Missed the wink smiley.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 pm

No worry! We all do errors, and a wink can mean a lot of things.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 pm

I dunno, all drow means a very high ecl, if thats the term. It will be a very long time before you start gainig levels.

Anyway, my advised party would be 1 tank, 1 cleric, 1 roguish type, 2 artillery and 1 free slot, which in my case would prolly be a bard or druid. In IWD skills allow even a bit more freedom in classes, just make sure you have a tank, someone who can raise dead and some artillery.

I had a druid party as well once in iwd2, with beautiful character images from an assortiment of trees. It was a bit tiresome though, having to wait for the killzone to expire when saving after battle.
Themewise, though you would follow my tastes in that case, i'd try fewer chars, soloing, not loading (or even raising), all wizards or all fighters, maybe some other classes. I dont think all-race would theme enough to change your gameplay significantly, apart from choosing the high ecl adjustment races to catch up with.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 am

Oh, well I am not so darn good at these games so soloing or small party's prolly not an option for me :/

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:56 am

Generally speaking, balanced parties seems more "forgiving" than themed parties.

If you create a Shaolin Expeditionary force (6 monks), you might struggle A LOT at the beginning, but once the monks HLA starts asserting themselves, it gets easier. Themed parties does make for an uneven, bumpy ride.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:30 am

Im sure themed do that :D Worst scenario would be...I have no idea but fighters only sounds kind of sucky.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Hmmz, i have yet to try fighter, but i doubt whether they are the worst. (of course theres a difference if you fully theme the party, or allow multiclassing, using a fighter/cleric and fighter/wizard as well).
Yes, the ride will be very bumpy without things like healing, identification, impedement or buffing, on the other hand, your fighters have a good to hit, damage output, and hit points. Their AC can go quite a way, and from the items ive come across in my iwd2 game, quite a lot allow spellcasting abilities, like Invisibility, Shield or Sanctuary, which should help as well.

From my own experience Druids are the worst, for one main reason. Of course, they have somewhat few hps and rather harsh weapon and armor restrictions, but the most important problem is the time it consumes. The only reliable way in my view to advance with a druid party, is by creating 'killzones', which means for example, casting Entangle to hold the enemies in place, and then multiple casting of spells like Spike Stones to deal damage to those impeded in that area. This is a very slow process though, and if some guys sneak out, or one of your own is caught inside, you have a problem. Even more tedious is having to wait for the different spell durations to expire before you can save and go for the next battle.

Let me do a small rundown of what i think about the different classes if you would fully theme them.
Fighters: I think this is doable, and has some speed in it, you need to take care of some spells, like maybe a dispel magic or see invisibility, but those can be gotten from items. Having no healing will make it tedious though, long rest times, and a lot of wandering to shops, churches and the like for identification, potions, raising, etc.
Clerics: quite doable as well, in my view a little harder than Fighters. The most important spells are still Arcane, and you get some healing and buffing in exchange for much needed hit points and attack bonus. I think progress will be a lot slower with clerics. The damage added by divine spells is not enough to outshine the fighters i think.
Rogues: In the opening stages these will be the hardest of the basic 4 classes i think, lacking hps, spells and attacks. You require a lot of micromanagement to increase those attacks, and then theres still a lot of sneak attack immunes. However, they have a trick up their sleeves, if you get a decent Use Magic Device youve just became all classes in one. Giving one a wand of fireball, and the others evasion or even greater evasion would work well.
Wizards: By now i am thinking these are easiest, of course, one goblin arrow can take them down, but the assortiment of spells is so powerful you should be able to advance trough all these encounters. Sleep comes to mind as your answer for those low levels, and when you start getting higher level spells you can deal damage, buff, create miss chances, impede, identify, open locks, everything. I should say Sorcerers here by the way, as the game lacks enough scrolls to play mopre than 2 or 3 wizards effectively.

The others i feel are all derivatives from those above, Paladins and Rangers are equal to Fighters, i think their spells wont help you, and one might say a Ranger has a ranged edge, but a fighter can easily take those feats as well.
Barbarians will make your advance a bit harder compared to fighters, lacking some feats and especially armor in the early levels. HPs and rage dont make up for that.
Monks would give a similar experience to barbs, having a harder time early on lacking feats, ac and damage. I guess that isnt the problem though, the main problem is item restrictions, which make it very hard to solve a lot of common problems.
Bards are i guess the easiest and most fun theme. They are all classes-in-one from the get go, and as such should be able to tackle any problem. Of course advancement is a bit slow, but all of them are 2/3s of a fighter, wizard and rogue.
Druids i explained above quite well, lack the ac, damage and hp that is so useful. Their spells are able to tackle most of the problems thrown at you, but it will be slow going.

all in all, i guess Monks will be the hardest of the above, when its about getting far in the game. Tediousness wise i think Druids and Clerics follow, and next the Barbarians, Fighters and Rogues, who i think become quite playable when you reach some spell-ability items or get a high enough use magic device. Bards and Sorcerers will be easiest/quickest.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:42 am

I honestly think fighters will be very hard. To me they never ever been good for much more then holding off enemies will the archer and mages finish off monsters.

I rememebr playing and seeing them never hit a thing.

I also remember this mood giving each armor damage resistance...full plate had like 10 or 15 and it made full platre fighters sick! It butchered up everything and it was to easy.

My first party, i did like in BG and gave all fighters high dex too so plate was not worth it in that party :)

Druids = Summon? :D That would do a lot.