Torment

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Cladius

Torment

Post by Cladius » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Returning to these forums make me remeber all the nice times I had playing BIS games, and suddenly I feel like replaying one of them, and the one that I played least is Torment. I played it only once, as a high intelligence, high wisdom and high charisma wizard. As such I think I learned all the "truths", like who you are.

If I would replay it, is there any point playing with a thief or fighter who hasn´t high wis, int and chr and thus won´t have as much "insights" or speech options? Would the game be as much fun?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Torment

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 pm

I always play a fighter but when I meet the various NPCs that can train me in thieving of magic, I do that of course. That game offers so much that you miss it if you just play one class and go straight through. And my fighter always points points in intelligence, wisdom and charisma before dex and strength.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 am

I think it's actually a bit annoying, that it's only intelligence and wisdom that really makes a difference in terms of regaining and recalling memories. It would have been even greater if all the stats had helped in various ways. Like if you play like a strong rough brute you'll regain more of the rough boarish moments.. While charisma would get you more of the eloquent and romantic memories.. subdomains of memories related to stats, alignment and gameplay so instead of just getting more or less you'd get some mutually exclusive each time.. Assuming that you play with different stats and not a jack-of-all-trades all the time, but then the game would probably have been buried as the dialogue trees to support them would have grown exponentially.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Hmmno, afaik there isnt too much to find in taking other stats or another class than you took in the first game. I played trough it a second time a few years back, and most of the new stuff i experienced came from other party members, another faction, a few places i didnt visit/visited differently, and lastly of course a lot i forgot.

A friend of mine also replayed it with some skipped content added in, he liked that a lot, everytime he met something he didnt remember he was in doubt whether it was 'new' or that he just forgot it or did things differently last time.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 am

There are certain things you can only get if you're certain class and have certain stats. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure you can only get the dialogue where you learn you were Ignus' teacher if you're a mage and have a high enough stats. Same with some of Nordom's upgrades. And those also give different amount of experience.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 am

The game sort of leans itself towards playing a mage. At least for a large part of the game. Unlike Fallout, there isn't an option to go through the game as a low int, grunting neanderthal. It's like the game won't really let you win (enjoy) it, if you don't pump stats that are normally associated with mages/clerics. Since there is no cleric class, that leaves mage.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Whats recommended addons?

And I should start playing this again with the resolution mod! Im just so lazy to get started lol :P Its quiet the heavy game.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:33 am

After like... six years, I started playing Torment again (with the widescreen mod and stuff). Its been long enough that Ive forgotten most of the game. I remember some of the big things, but the little quests and NPCs and stuff Ive almost entirely forgotten. Considering that, its still fun though. Like... I completely forgot what happens to Pharod after you leave, and stuff like that.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 am

What operating system are you running it on? I wouldn't mind giving it a go again some day. And what's this widescreen mod?

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Vista.

Its a mod that lets you input the resolution you want to use. ive got it running and 1680x1050, though you can set it for whatever else you want, you pick the numbers. So if you wanted to do it as 1234x789 or something I think it would accomodate you (and look really weird most likely)

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 pm

No crashes due to the games age, the graphics on newer cards, anything like that? I'm impressed.

Are you using the 4 disc or 2 disc version of the game?

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:03 am

Oh, it crashes sometimes, generally on area change, but its not too bad because it usually does it after auto saving. Some spell animations dont look right, but thats not so bad either.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Whoa necromancers.. So does this widescreen mod actually gives a bigger screen? As I remember Torment it was a little too close and cramped compared to other inifinity games.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Yes this is thread necromancy, but it was still on the first page (like the fifth thread down) and directly on topic...

And yeah, it gives a bigger screen, its zoomed way out and stuff, plenty of room.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:17 am

Hmm. Well, I'm running Windows 7. I think I might be giving this a try... though I'll be surprised if it even loads without errors.

And there's nothing wrong with thread necromancy when the forums themselves seem like they're on life support.