From the late, great studio that brought us together
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Baldur's Gate [Enhanced Edition]

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm surprised nobody else posted this: http://www.baldursgate.com/
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Baldur's Gate [Enhanced Edition]

Post by Joseph » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Well, actually Merlance and I have been talking about it but you'd have look in the ME3 thread in GG. I was going to split the thread but never got around to it. Hmm... wonder if I can merge these threads. Don't recall, without looking, if we have that ability.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Not a lot of news on it but heres some of what I know from reading stuff around the internets:

Coming out at least on PC, Mac, ipad. Others being looked into. Assuming that means console.

New joinable NPC, New quests, and added content thats more than an adventure but less than an expansion. New interactions between characters in BG1 maybe?

Better resolutions, with the ability to zoom the camera in and out.

Being released on Beamdog (their download thingy) first, maybe Steam later. Some interest in actual physical copies so they might do that.

Doing BG1/Totsc then BG2/TOB. If they sell well enough, BG3 might follow, they really want to do BG3.

They are improving the Multiplayer interface, can still make a party of six guys created by you.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 am

Yeah, if I get into this I'd prefer a physical copy. Mind you I may not check it out at all. I'm strictly laptop for a computer and laptops aren't built for gaming. We've got a desktop but with my girlfriend being a programmer, it's ubuntu and I never use it. Still, I'll be paying attention to what they do. Especially if they do Planescape. I recall reading an interview where the guy behind this said he'd like to do PS-T and make a PS-T2.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Cant do PS:T2. It would never measure up to the first, even if Chris Avellone wrote it.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't have very high hardware standards. If it's being made for mac, I'm pretty sure that it'll be OpenGL in which the wine emulation in Linux supports exceedingly well. Though, I'm speaking of past experiences so some or all of this optimism may be entirely false.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

MERLANCE wrote:Cant do PS:T2. It would never measure up to the first, even if Chris Avellone wrote it.
Aside from PS-T, I'm not that big a fan of his writing anyhow. But it is true that it would hard, if not impossible to do regardless of writer. Expectations on sequels and all that. Any Planescape game shouldn't attempt to be a direct sequel to Torment. But the same setting, with maybe scattered references to the original characters, and perhaps a max of one brief NPC cameo would be a good nod. Dak'kon or Morte would be my choices.
AngryKidJoe wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't have very high hardware standards. If it's being made for mac, I'm pretty sure that it'll be OpenGL in which the wine emulation in Linux supports exceedingly well. Though, I'm speaking of past experiences so some or all of this optimism may be entirely false.
Makes sense. Considering there's a phone version I can't see it being the most involved game. And I'd only be on board if there was a physical copy. I played it to death back in the day. It would simply be nostalgia for me, especially considering how we spoke of both doing other things than gaming these days.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 am

Planescape is a rich setting that has been underused by games. But Torment did it so well, would be the mark all are judged.

Can't have Dak'kon. He died canonically, I think.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 am

My two favourite settings were Planescape and Ravenloft. The last two PnP campaigns I played were in Ravenloft. I do miss those days. Trying to get in with a group with a guy I know but it hasn't happened yet.

And I honestly don't recall Dak'kon's fate from the game. I'd have to look it up. I only played the ending twice. But I'm that way with most rpgs I replay. I do the whole game once, maybe twice and any subsequent playthroughs only go until the end but stopping just shy of the final act. And for me, in games like Fallout or BG2 or New Vegas or Skyrim (especially Skyrim) the most fun is had before I hit the higher levels.

But yes, you're right. Any game in the Planescape setting would be automatically compared to Torment. I do think a good game could be done though. Does the Planescape setting still exist? I know the license went to someone else way back but I didn't pay much attention.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 am

Ravenloft. *drool* Don't mind me...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 pm

You know, for some reason, I really, really want to play DnD again. PnP would be great but I'd even settle for online.