Star Trek in general now...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Star Trek in general now...

Post by Joseph » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:45 pm

Well, one of us had to start this thread. majestic probably couldn't be bothered because the show is in reruns through December.

Here it is. I'll start by saying I don't really like, almost hate, the revised theme song.

There, thread started. :look:

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:04 am

I really like Enterprise. It's no Firefly or Farscape, but it's entertaining nonetheless. I usually avoid detailed discussions about the show because on a critical level I find more flaws than merits, yet still enjoy watching. Despite it's failings, I'm a fan.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:56 am

I'd rank Enterprise as my 2-3 favourite of the series.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:25 pm

Josan wrote:I'd rank Enterprise as my 2-3 favourite of the series.
Me too. Probably third, after TNG and Voyager.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:39 pm

Infidel!!!

TOS
TNG/Enterprise
Voyager
DS9
TAS

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:11 pm

I have mixed feelings about TOS. The stories were great, and I rather liked the actors, but I've never, ever been able to get over the production values. Even when I was a kid and watching the show, even then I found it hard to watch, and I don't think it's because of the "cheapness" of it. I can watch cheap-looking shows (like Dr. Who) and love it, but there was just something about the original Star Trek...

Putting TNG at the same level as Enterprise isn't realistic. TNG had much better direction and writing, as well as some very strong acting. Likewise with DS9, but DS9 was a bit tedious.
Enterprise, while a fine show, doesn't exactly have a strong cast and the writing often very questionable.
And I realise I'm in a great minority of people who loved Voyager.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:45 pm

Well, I always looked at TOS as almost classic lit/dramas. Passion vs Reason = Decision in the trinity of McCoy-Spock-Kirk. As a child I loved the show and just grew up with it, regardless of the sets. Also, because I knew the artistic vision behind the show and the way it was *i have potty mouth* by the network. (Much like the artistic vision of BIS).

TNG was great once Riker grew his beard and they got collars on their jackets. That's the timing for me although there was never a moment I didn't wish death on Wesly and Troi.

DS9 and Babylon 5 at the same time = yuck for me. I think I've see 20-25 episodes.

Voyager about twice that but Kes and Neelix bugged me. And I was working evenings through half of the series.

Enterprise is nice because it's set closer to us. Perhaps setting a successful SCI-FI show closer to our time/tech will kindle public interest in exploration. But yes, there are episodes when the writing really suffers. In fact, I was so ticked a few months back on a live chat with Scott Bakula that I derailed it pretty good and got more than a few laughs.

Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:29 am

What is TAS?

Anyways, the only Star Trek series I find decent is DS9. It has much stronger story, more interesting characters, better location etc etc. I haven't seen Enterprise though so that isn't included in my evaluation. But I have my doubts...

The main prolem with DS9 is that it tries to do a lot of the same thing as B5, it's just that B5 does it all a hell of a lot better.

For the record, B5 trumps all other space-series.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:38 am

TAS is the Animated Series from the 70's.

As for the rest of your post... why don't you take a long hard suck on my arse! Commie infidel heathen.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:08 am

Spider wrote:
The main prolem with DS9 is that it tries to do a lot of the same thing as B5, it's just that B5 does it all a hell of a lot better.

For the record, B5 trumps all other space-series.
Usually Star Trek fails in comparison to other sci-fi shows, and if there are story arc similarities, the Trek one is the weaker.

And for the record, my Farscape trumps your Babylon 5

:wink:

Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:24 am

I've tried Farscape. But I just can't get into it. It just doesn't catch me. I've only seen 13 episodes though (from season 1) so maybe what everyone thinks is so great about it is yet to come?

As it stands currently I even think Andromeda > Farscape.
:)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:43 am

Oh yeah!?!

Well Red Dwarf > than all!

Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:43 pm

Yeah, Red Dwarf is teh win!

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:54 pm

Spider wrote:I've tried Farscape. But I just can't get into it. It just doesn't catch me. I've only seen 13 episodes though (from season 1) so maybe what everyone thinks is so great about it is yet to come?

As it stands currently I even think Andromeda > Farscape.
Farscape is just so unpredictable. Character development is very, very interesting and the paths they take is often strange and unexpected. I find them to be very real..
The show doesn't pull it's punches, bad things happen to the protagonists and there's no apology or happy ending. But despite this they grow, they press on and persevere. And it's funny. The writing and direction are superb.
I loved season 1, but it was the most fragmented of them all and it had yet to find it's cohesive story-arc. It had the most one-off episodes as well.

Anyone watch Firefly?

Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:15 pm

I think this thread needs to be renamed...

The total lack of a cohesive story-arc is what I find msot disturbing about Farscape. That and the muppet (not the character behind the muppet, I actually like that one. It's the actual muppet I frown on).

I also find a lot of the individual episodes to be somewhat lacking in content. There is too much dead time, that doesn't further the story or really develops a character. Time that just feels wasted.

I also don't feel the characters are very interesting. The potential is there, it just hasn't been tapped into much yet. I do realize there are more depth to them than has been shown, but that's just it. It hasn't been shown. Had they used some of the time mentioned above I believe they could have made me care a lot more about the characters. As it stands only the blue one (and to a somewhat lesser degree the muppet) has has shown her true colors (bad pun, I know).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the show is bad in any way. I just hasn't really caught me. I'll probably try a few more episodes sometime, but I'll probably get what I can from Andromeda first (which isn't that much more).

One thing I love about Farscape though is the theme score. I really love it.

Edit: Oh, and I truly hate Firefly. I haven't seen a single episode so I don't know if it's any good or not, but I truly hate it. They cancelled Dark Angel to do Firefly instead and for that I can never forgive the show.