Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Post by Joseph » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:46 pm

I've tried to keep positive, to be hopeful but the reality now is that unless I have a job by next Wednesday I could be homeless as of next Thursday.

I had an interview last Thursday, that I think went well, and I was told I should hear, either way, this week. Well, all I can do is hope that the call comes and I'm hired. If I get it I can at least be late with the rent. If not...

The ultimate kicker, my landlords telling me today that they can't pay their utility, phone or internet bills and that everything is going to be shut off soon. Now it's not their fault that I'm out of work, a month behind on rent and haven't managed to find anything yet but really? Seriously? A guilt trip because they can't afford the ridiculously big, expensive house they bought and the bills that come with it? Maybe they shouldn't have bought that SUV two weeks ago or had that super high tech extremely expensive security system installed last week instead of paying those bills. And he knew my situation when I paid June's rent at the end of May and told me not to worry, he wasn't going see his "Christian brother" homeless. Well, things seem to have changed.

I need a miracle so very desperately.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Re: Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Post by Marcus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Bloody hell. that sucks.

Wish I could do something for you. I hope your "Christian brother" keeps up on what he said and let you live there still. Better in a dark house than homeless.

I pray and hope and all that stuff just cause for you friend :/ This stinks big time!

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 pm

keeping you in my prayers friend
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:36 am

Maybe you just aren't "Christian" enough for him. Maybe you should have indulged him and followed him to church a few times :P

Sorry to hear mate. I know you wanted to get rid of the person you shared the rented accommodation with, but that was probably not what you had in mind. No friends, relatives (however remote/estranged) you can crash for the night at until being able to afford a rent again?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:40 am

I don't know with 100% certainty that he'll evict me or if he's just being dramatic. And I am hoping to land the job I interviewed for. If I do, I'm fine. I'll be late with the rent but at least I'll be able to pay it. But really, my landlords, while nice people, aren't the most fiscally responsible and are completely oblivious to how things work. His suggestion to me, in all seriousness, was calling my bank and asking for a loan or an increase on my Visa limit. I explained that banks don't give loans or increase your credit limit when you've no job. His response was "Well, won't they help you?" so I patiently explained that banks are banks, businesses, not charities.

As for family, you know I have none. No clue where dear old mom and dad even are. As for friends, none of those either, at least none that would help. And really, I guess that's the true measure of whether or not they're friends. You see if I had a friend that was in need, naturally I'd let them stay on my couch or my basement, etc, etc,. The few I have in this city, it's the old "Well, good luck man, don't worry, something will work out". I know because I went through that when my ex and I separated and I was scrambling to find this place. I simply can't conceive of not offering even a couch to someone you consider a friend but hey, that's just me.

As for "getting rid" of the housemate, it's not just her. It's the entire environment here. It's really, really hard feeling comfortable in this setup. A housemate that shares the basement with me that is so lazy and slovenly and landlords upstairs (and the basement doesn't have a separate entrance, it's not a self-contained apartment, just rooms in the basement) that are so, have I said "oblivious" before? ;) But they are. She walks around mindlessly singing hymns all day while crashing banging on the floor which is our ceiling disturbing us down here, sometimes keeping me up until 3AM and he has no clue how the world works, walking around with a perma-grin saying "Don't worry, be happy" all the time. I'm still amazed that they can't pay their bills but can buy an SUV, a security system and run off to a computer shop for the most minor, do-it-yourself issues. I even said, "Hey, save your money. I know a few things and this is what you need" but off he goes to the shop, pays for the exact same advice and info I gave for free. Maybe if he "worried" more himself they wouldn't be living so far beyond their means?

Seriously, if your whole plan for paying for your mortgage is based on renting out rooms in your basement, maybe you should have purchased a smaller home. Especially when one room has been un-rented for nine months now. And I'm not surprised. There's no kitchen space for three occupants down here and the fridge is barely big enough for two, let alone three. And when I've pointed that out to him, he just smiles and says there's lots of room for three and people don't need much room for food, dishes and pots and pans, etc, etc,.

Like I said in another thread, in some ways, it's actually humourous. But I'd prefer to being living somewhere else and laughing from afar. Again, they are decent people, they're nice and well-intended. They just don't grasp certain, rather obvious things.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Well, I suppose it'd be difficult to come here and stay.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Just a bit. It's a bit of a walk after all. And then there's my things. What would I do with them? Push shopping carts across the border? :haha:

Quite hopeful that I've got the job though. The fellow that interviewed me took the time to email me today, saying that they were a bit behind on interviews (they're hiring more than one person) and had a couple more to get through Monday and Tuesday. While it may have just been a courtesy notice I'd like to think it was extended because they are interested in me.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23 pm

how much stuff do you have?

I am at the point where I wish I was homeless at times. No temptations to relapse, no need to torture myself with bad TV and well no time to be annoyed by stuff that shouldn't annoy me.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 am

How much stuff do I have? Enough. More than I can carry in backpack.

And don't ever wish you were homeless. I was there when I was 16 years old.

But man, I truly need to get a good job and get out of here. I'm sitting outside a few minutes ago, just relaxing, a little quiet contemplation and he comes out on the porch to tell me he has some people coming to look at the third room and that he hopes they'll see my housemate because she's a girl and not me because I'm a guy and the reason they haven't been able to rent the other room is because university girls won't rent a room if there's a guy living there and that he's hoping and praying that the room will be rented to ease their financial burden. Unbelievable.

I guess it's just never occurred to him that maybe some of the issues regarding the room sitting empty are that the tiny little fridge in the kitchenette is barely big enough for two people let alone three. Or maybe the fact that there is no kitchen cupboard space for dishes or food plays a part. Or maybe it's because none of the bedrooms have closets. Or maybe it's because the house is on the last street in the city and a lot of students want to live closer to the school and the city night life and the number of students that want a quiet out of the way place dramatically reduces your prospective tenants. Of course I didn't say it. But I've thought it many times.

And then, to change the subject, he talks about the solar lights hanging hanging from the exterior walls on the porch and either side of the garage doors. And how he needs to talk to an electrician because they don't light up any more and weren't bright enough when they did. So I explain that all batteries, even rechargeable solar batteries, have a finite life span and eventually need to be replaced, especially when the things are over four years old and solar garden lights are only going to be so bright to begin with, especially when they're blue LED lights. He doesn't believe me and still thinks he should see an electrician. He then tells me it was $36 dollars for the set. So... instead of taking my word for it, or reading the manual that came with them which clearly explains all batteries need to be replaced eventually, no, he'd rather talk to an electrician to see if they can be re-wired to be brighter and why they don't light up any more. For a cheap $36 dollar set of solar lights.

*sigh*

I really, really hope I get this job. I've got a few reasons for liking the company and obviously need a job and then I work towards getting out of here.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:33 am

so lemme get this straight.

your landlords are nice people. but they're bible thumpers brainlessly singing hymns. and totally financially irresponsible. can't afford their house. bought one too big and fancy for their means and their mortgage plan was renting rooms in their basement. and they spend money like it's going outta style on suvs and fancy security cameras. and dude wastes money on obvious fix it yourself crap and doesn't listen when you explain the extremely obvious so he doesn't have to waste money.

and they can't rent the other room cos you're a guy but there's a girl living there too. and there's no closets or kitchen space and you're in the boonies. and they don't get the fact that gee maybe people want to eat and have some place for their food and dishes and clothes.

but it's all somehow your fault.

wow. that would drive me crazy too. don't blame you for wanting to get out. good luck with the job and moving on.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:19 pm

In a nutshell, pretty much. That's why I like you TPJ, troll that you are. You can be blunt while I need to be diplomatic.

And wow... I'm listening to him talking to a prospective tenant right now and no wonder he can't rent the room. He's jacked up the rent, doesn't know any of the amenities in the neighbourhood. gives the wrong bus stop for getting to school, doesn't know where the nearest grocery store is, telling her one that's twice as far as the actual closest one and tells the girl there's parking when there is none. And I just listened to the girl say "This is the kitchen? We don't get to use the one upstairs?"

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Seems they really do have a weird view of things. Might come with their heritage as Africans. I presume culturally they got diffrent views and historically are used to pretty bad conditions.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 pm

While that is no doubt part of it, they've been here for quite some time. At least he has. I've no clue how long his wife has been here. Less time I'd think.

And that still doesn't cover their rather ill-considered financial planning. He told me something abotu his finances yesterday that completely stunned me. You see, I've been here nine months. And there's been a second tenant for that time too. One that was here when I moved in and moved out December 31st while the current housemate, the lazy girl, moved in January 1st. So he's always had two of the three rooms rented. It was in July that I couldn't pay rent. But apparently he hasn't paid property taxed on the house the entire time. Seriously? WTF? Again, if your entire ability to pay your mortgage, utilities and taxes is based on having all three rooms rented you're clearly living beyond your means and should be buying anything other than groceries. Really, they need a financial advisor. I may not have any money but I sure as hell know how to manage it when I do.

And speaking of... here's hoping this coming week sees me employed again otherwise I'm in a really, really bad situation.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 pm

That situation sucks big time. Soon you have to come live in my sisters old room or something over here.

And yes they do need an advisor! Maybe they could hire you ;)

I hope you get that job, really do.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 pm

People watching can be such a fascinating hobby. For months I've kept my observations and musings about my landlords to myself but now, with this thread, I figure what the hell, why not share and puzzle some of it out... funny how this thread is changing topic and tone.

I don't understand their marriage. In the entire time I've been here I've never seen them hold hands, go for a walk, go out for dinner together, or any of the things that couples do. They spend most of their time separate other than occasional meals. And several times, when he's had to go to out of town on a drive of a couple hours or more, he's asked me to go with him for company on the way there and back. She doesn't do anything with him.

And yesterday I felt so bad for him. I gently brought up a few issues that might be impeding renting out the other room and one of them was storage and cupboard space, mentioning that I overheard what the girl said about "This is the kitchen? We don't get to use the one upstairs?"

So we come up with a plan for where to place some additional cupboards. He wants to buy some and talks about how much they'll cost. I say "Whoa man. Seriously. Save yourself some money. Buy the wood and build them yourself. It'll cost half to a third of buying pre-made. It's easy. I'll help." So he agrees. And he's happy and excited and smiling. He's got a plan. He's going to save money.

I go outside, sit for a bit, have a coffee. Come back in. She's downstairs with him now. He's looking crestfallen. She's looking utterly grumpy and miserable. Hates the ideas. Hates his plan. Doesn't see the need. The man went from happy and excited and possibly doing something to actually make the place better for the tenants to her stomping all over that.

You see, I quite like him. I've honestly never liked her. She's quite simply very inconsiderate and ill-mannered towards the tenants, always has been. So... she resents us being here but they're dependant on having tenants to pay their bills. So, since you need tenants, you'd best do what you need to get them and keep them.

Yes, people watching is funny.

Now, here's hoping I get that job, can settle up accounts here and work towards finding a place where I'll actually have some peace. Nothing worse than trying to get your life back on track somewhere where you never quite feel comfortable or relaxed.