Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Actually, when I was in Budapest, I watched a tonne of American TV. But yes, I am a playful deceiver! Gotcha!

I do know other people have issues with the "new post" thing. Marcus commented on it once or twice but I just wrote it off as, well, Marcus being Marcus. I've never had any issues with it so... weird. Lucky me I guess.

And gaming and gamer could indeed be why Choyrt's column is blocked.

*sigh*

I miss those old IPLY/BIS boards. Such fun we had. Especially near the end, when we hated Herve and the writing was on the wall so we switched our titles to "Evil Forum Nazi" and adopted pics of Nazis as our avatars. And my alt accounts I used for baiting trolls walking the line so I could incite a flame war and then use my proper account to ban them and my alt! :mrgreen:

Ah... memories.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I still have my Hermann Göring avatar sitting comfortably on an exteranl hard disk at home. Good old times indeed. I remember when I had this discussion with one of those annoying little "I'm a CS major!" trolls that occasionally visited the forums.

He kept harping on the lack of monk animations in IWD2 and I kept explaining to him the concept of a project budget (in terms of both time and money) and he kept failing to understand that BIS couldn't possibly include proper monk animations in a game that was built in six months as a desperate effort to keep the ship floating for a little while longer without causing serious overruns.

It went back and forth for a while and then he told me that I have no clue what I was talking about. There he was, the first semester CS "major" telling me off, a year or two after I completed a 5 year course on business administration and information systems (also sometimes known as "business informatics" or "commercial data processing"), which is essentially applied computer science combined with a wide range of business topics, among them project management and accounting...

A while later he asked for help on the BG2 board, to which I replied with exactly what he would need to do (damned if I remember what he wanted) and he replied "Thanks, but I know you have no clue so I don't really trust your information. Can anyone else confirm?" after which the entirety of the remaining posters on the forum flamed him.

Hilarious. Loved the time and the guys.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:47 pm

As I recall it was you, me, hankinator and one other guy... maybe Valqorez, that did the Nazi bit. And either Missy or Magena or both got pissy about it so we switched to Mao or Pol Pot and their cronies and it went right over their heads. :D

As for your clown... Hmm. You and Extremist were the two most tech knowledgeable mods there. Funny how he just wouldn't believe you.

Yeah, policing those boards was a lot of fun, a lot of good times. Especially the various Fallout sub-forums. What was it Val used to say, I handed out bans like candy?

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 am

Joseph wrote:As for your clown... Hmm. You and Extremist were the two most tech knowledgeable mods there. Funny how he just wouldn't believe you.
Rachel was really, really good too. Too bad both kind of disappeared. Extremist had an accident and, while he recovered from it, never really came back and Rachel just up and disappeared at the end of it all. I think she was sort-of active at Missy's but that one had issues as well.

I mean, aside from being the happy-lucky-everything's-pink forum. You think AC was immature? It had nothing on Missy's... ;)

Oh and it wasn't even a tech question, it was a question about something in-game. Not sure exactly, but it had something to do with Watcher's Keep and item upgrades. Possibly Foebane.

Yep, he just didn't believe my answer, too bad for him, really. In that thread about Monk attack animations even JE himself replied saying they had no budget for them and didn't have the time to create their own, and incompatibilities & royalties kept them from licencing Bioware's.

Mr. Smart of course said "no, I'm a first semester CS major, I know better" and kept ranting. I mean hey, this guy got told down by JE and he kept on... he was nothing if not persistant.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Well... got a phone a little while ago. Got the job. Start Monday. Won't get paid for three weeks but I've been used to dining on what I call "war time rations" for two months so I should survive another three weeks. Mind you, I'll be expending more energy but... Hey, I got the job.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm keeping you in my prayers friend. Hopefully you can make it through
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:29 am

Joseph wrote:Hey, I got the job.
Congratulations. :haksthumbsup:

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 am

majestic wrote:
Joseph wrote:Hey, I got the job.
Congratulations. :haksthumbsup:
Indeed :haksthumbsup:

See? getting jobs gets easier with practise :mrgreen:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am

No, they don't but good try. ;)

And this job... well, there's good and bad in everything, right?

The company seems to be very good. They've got an impressively forward thinking and enlighted approach to maintaining morale, team building, etc, etc. But... Some of their hiring decisions can be classed as suspect... well, then again I'm biased because I learned today I know someone that works there and I have a very, very dim view of this individual. I know things the company don't but still, character shows through and I have no respect for this one individual at all.

Long story short, I met a guy years ago at another job. He was, well, to be blunt a deadbeat loser that collected welfare, made his money selling pot and his entire life consisted of playing video games and ranting at the world. He had potential if he wanted, had his decent moments but few and far between and where I drew the line was when he got care of a dog that he neglected and mistreated to the point of death. I touched briefly on that in my ezine article, Puppy Love, back in December. So, loving animals, I gave the guy a choice. Turn the dog in to the humane society, give it to me to turn for you or I report you. He declined the first two so I took the third choice.

Well, this guy that it turns out I'll be working with was that loser's good friend. And he knew. He was at the other guy's place almost every day, watching this poor animal suffer and doing nothing except getting stoned and playing video games and I told him if you don't act, if your friend doesn't act, I will. He wasn't at work today but he'll be there tomorrow so... it'll be interesting to see his reaction to seeing me.

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 am

The important thing is not to make a scene. As tempting as it is to go "DOG KILLER" at the top of your voice, you did your job in reporting them at the time. So best just to pretend you don't even recognise the chap.

Although I'm pretty sure collecting welfare and selling pot on the side is fraud - though I can understand not mentioning the whole pot bit to the government!

No dogs here though. Mandy and I adore dogs (in fact, I love all animals, except snakes which I am deathly phobic towards, and even then I respect their ability to live on parts of the planet I am not on!) but I refuse to keep one until we have the finances and house to properly look after one.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Oh, the guy working there wasn't the deadbeat, he was just friends with him. And I never cause scenes. Too old, mature and reserved for that.

Anyhow.. he was somewhat surprised to see me today. We chatted, were paired up for a bit as part of the training. Just made small talk about gaming and talked about the job itself.

Good to see you posting more actively by the way. It suits your "Assistant Editor" tag with the Dalek font. ;)

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I figured I should try and overcome my natural forum shyness - hey, I'm just used to lurking on these things!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 am

Are you kidding me? I've seen your post count on GB mate! :P

But I'm sure you know by know our own forums are small and friendly... Now, if we could start getting some of our new writers posting here a wee bit outside of just the threads for their own articles...

Ah well, all things in time. :)

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 am

Heh, both GB and Rajah are exceptions to the rule but both are built up over a long time. (Ok, GB is only 4 years old, but I'd forged all the friends and injokes over its predecessors since 2001!)

One often flows freer with posts when one is more sure people will take ones humour as read, and not as belligerence!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 am

Stare at the abyss too much and it might just stare back. Probably applies to forums too :mrgreen:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...